Powerflush and new boiler

I have a Glow Worm 40FF in a small flat, 5 rads, open vent - currently no heating or hot water.

There is a blockage of air or sludge in the system and British Gas Homecare just replaced the pump to no avail and quoted £848 to PowerFlush and will also quote for a new boiler in case the PF wrecks the heat exchanger.

Their reputation is not great so is probably overpriced but who can I trust to come out quickly at reasonable price to fix in NW London?

Thanks
S

Comments

• retepetsir
    retepetsir Posts: 1,236 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 December 2018 at 3:57PM
    I'm no expert, but over £800 for a powerflush seems an awful lot of money! We have the same boiler in our house - are you getting any signs of life? The PCB's are prone to failure and you can normally source refurbed versions on eBay.

The Great Declutter Challenge - £876 :)

• retepetsir wrote: »
    I'm no expert, but over £800 for a powerflush seems an awful lot of money! We have the same boiler in our house - are you getting any signs of life? The PCB's are prone to failure and you can normally source refurbed versions on eBay.

Thanks retepetsir.

Boiler itself seems fine. The PCB was replaced last year, as it happens. Of course, BG now say that parts are not available.

Yes, £848 for 5 radiator flushes is a lot. I have someone coming out tomorrow for £450 but who knows even if that is really the problem...someone on here suggested a blocked cold feed.

The rads have never been flushed, so maybe worth doing anyway?

Cheers
    S
  • longwalks1
    longwalks1 Posts: 3,734 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    We paid I think £550 for a powerflush 2 years ago in our 4 bed house, he was there from 8am til 5pm, flushed every radiator and showed us how much sludge came out. British Gas quoted £900 and the engineer actually told us to shop around and get it done by someone else

Our house has 11 radiators (2 are towel radiators)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure