iPhone and Carphone Warehouse Insurance Scam

Options

Comments

• digp
    digp Posts: 2,013 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i would hope that cpw have more important things to do then suing people for posts on this sight.

for what its worth, i think cpw are muppets.
  • alnsv1000s
    Options
    I agree digp, so do I.

They do like giving out a lot of misinformation to suit thier latest targets.
  • mobilejunkie
    Options
    I suspect cpw will be too busy defending claims soon rather than instigating them.
  • klonky
    Options
    I called Ofcom about Carphone Warehouse telling me that should I lose or damage my iphone I will not be able to buy another iphone off the shelf and use it on my contract, but that I will have to pay the original 18 month contract and take out a SECOND contract UNLESS I HAVE INSURANCE.

Ofcom told me that it was a commercial decision and that they have every right to do this (Bizarre and unfair as it may seem)
    They say I would be able to get my sim back and use it on any other phone I might have but that anther iphone could be locked to its contract.

In oother words make sure you have insurance that covers the payment of your contract etc.
  • klonky
    Options
    just contacted o2 who told me that they WOULD transfer your number on to a new iphone if it was lost or stolen!!!!!

Everyone seems to have a different answer
  • fatgadget
    Options
    Hi Everyone

I can clarify the situation with the iPhone and insurance, and what the Carphone Warehouse are up to as I have done considerable research into this as I run a Gadgets & Technology News website.

The Carphone Warehouse policy costs about £40 per month every quarter.

The O2 policy costs £7.50 per month, which works out at £22.50 per quarter.

It is also possible to get stand alone insurance from many other companies from around £5 per month.

You could also consider including it on your house insurance (although this will not cover calls made by someone else if it is stolen).

O2 have confirmed that the cost of a replacement handset, if it be lost or stolen (i.e. a sim free handset) is £490, quite a bit more than the £269 purchase price.

I purchased my iPhone on the launch day and I was informed by the salesman that O2 did not do insurance for the iPhone and if I lost it or it was stolen, I would have to buy a new phone, take out a new contract and continue to pay the remainder of the existing contract.

Salesman at the Carphone Warehouse are basically lying to people and trying to scare them into buying their overpriced insurance.

I have received a number of emails from some of my readers who have had a similar experience, and this has been reported on a number of Apple forums as well.

Here is an article on my website I have written about their underhand tactics (I hope you don't mind me including it, but we want to let as many people know what they are up to).

Carphone Warehouse Article

Please note the opinions and views expressed in this post are my own personal views and are no way endorsed or supported by moneysavingexpert.com.
  • MrRincewind
    Options
    fatgadget wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

I can clarify the situation with the iPhone and insurance, and what the Carphone Warehouse are up to as I have done considerable research into this as I run a Gadgets & Technology News website.

The Carphone Warehouse policy costs about £40 per month every quarter.

The O2 policy costs £7.50 per month, which works out at £22.50 per quarter.

It is also possible to get stand alone insurance from many other companies from around £5 per month.

You could also consider including it on your house insurance (although this will not cover calls made by someone else if it is stolen).

O2 have confirmed that the cost of a replacement handset, if it be lost or stolen (i.e. a sim free handset) is £490, quite a bit more than the £269 purchase price.

I purchased my iPhone on the launch day and I was informed by the salesman that O2 did not do insurance for the iPhone and if I lost it or it was stolen, I would have to buy a new phone, take out a new contract and continue to pay the remainder of the existing contract.

Salesman at the Carphone Warehouse are basically lying to people and trying to scare them into buying their overpriced insurance.

I have received a number of emails from some of my readers who have had a similar experience, and this has been reported on a number of Apple forums as well.

Here is an article on my website I have written about their underhand tactics (I hope you don't mind me including it, but we want to let as many people know what they are up to).

Carphone Warehouse Article

Please note the opinions and views expressed in this post are my own personal views and are no way endorsed or supported by moneysavingexpert.com.

think you must have your figures wrong on the section i have highlighted, By your figures that would be £120 a quarter, more than most of the tariffs for the Iphone,where did you get the numbers from for this calculation

Also not sure why you say they are misadvising people in recommending the insurance, the phone is extremely expensive to replace and if people are being advises of their options at point of sale, then people will again be complaining about that, I`m aware the earn commision on products sold but people still need to be made aware of all options as alot of people like to be covered,
  • mcmanlyn
    mcmanlyn Posts: 422 Forumite
    Options
    If you buy online from CPW you can choose to remove the insurance - if that helps you :)
    Wondering how to have a life & not rack up more debts...
  • fatgadget
    Options
    think you must have your figures wrong on the section i have highlighted, By your figures that would be £120 a quarter, more than most of the tariffs for the Iphone,where did you get the numbers from for this calculation

Also not sure why you say they are misadvising people in recommending the insurance, the phone is extremely expensive to replace and if people are being advises of their options at point of sale, then people will again be complaining about that, I`m aware the earn commision on products sold but people still need to be made aware of all options as alot of people like to be covered,

My apologies, there was a typo in my original post, it should read £40 per quarter.

If you mean that telling people that they can only buy iPhone insurance from the CPW and that if they loose their phone they will have to take out a new contract and continue to pay the existing one, is giving people options ?

What they told me, and numerous other people was incorrect and a blatent atempt to sell their insurance, I said no to it 3 times, each time the salesman came up with another untrue reason why I should have it.

These were not the actions of an honest trustworthy salesman, trying to help me with my purchase.
  • dejongj
    dejongj Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    Absolutely true, the iPhone buying experience was not a good one at Carphone Warehouse. I bought mine Friday evening just before 8pm...And the hard sell on accessories and insurance was even for me intimidating by the sales rep....

I caved in on the accessories and said I'll have the car charger, expensive at £9.99 but so be it....And they gave me the £39.99 FM tuner version, I told them where to stick it....So they took it off again...

Then nearly complete 4!! sales people surrounded me telling me about the insurance and how you can't get it repaired!? and can't buy another one etc. At £12.50 a month it is a total rip-off, heck my home rebuild and content insurance of a value of £350k is only £44 per month....

Besides I've swapped sims with a friend who has got one and the phone works just fine....So the apple repair service for a battery is £55 and otherwise it is £198...Why would I want insurance...

I will never ever buy anything from Carphone Warehouse again....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure