WARNING - "The Nerd Support"

2»

Comments

• Aiadi
    Aiadi Posts: 1,840 Forumite
    edited 13 April 2010 at 8:47PM
    John_Gray wrote: »
    For £77-odd it seems rather expensive to emulate the sentence "No, go away..."

Anyway, surely proper nerds don't need support?
    1) It does get to less than £77 a times and was £59 when I bought it.
    2) The whole idea behind this is that you won't get unsolicited calls in the first place so you won't even need to say 'No, go away'.
    3) Stopping the phone ringing at odd times when trying to put the baby to sleep is priceless.
    4) Only problem is that after 6 months of having this installed, I started missing messing some of these telemarketing people about when they call.
    Do I want it? ......Do I need it? ......What would happen if I don't buy it??????
  • Lil306
    Lil306 Posts: 1,692 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Aiadi wrote: »
    1) It does get to less than £77 a times and was £59 when I bought it.
    2) The whole idea behind this is that you won't get unsolicited calls in the first place so you won't even need to say 'No, go away'.
    3) Stopping the phone ringing at odd times when trying to put the baby to sleep is priceless.
    4) Only problem is that after 6 months of having this installed, I started missing messing some of these telemarketing people about when they call.

How exactly does it work?

I'm too lazy to Google :D
    Owner of andrewhope.co.uk, hate cars and love them

Working towards DFD

HSBC Credit Card - £2700 / £7500
    AA Loans - (cleared £9700)
  • Aiadi
    Aiadi Posts: 1,840 Forumite
    Lil306 wrote: »
    How exactly does it work?

I'm too lazy to Google :D

Click here:

http://www.truecall.co.uk/acatalog/Advanced_ICM_Telemarketing.html

Also the reviews on the amazon link I put above give an excellent insight into how it works.
    Do I want it? ......Do I need it? ......What would happen if I don't buy it??????
  • Lil306
    Aiadi wrote: »
    Click here:

http://www.truecall.co.uk/acatalog/Advanced_ICM_Telemarketing.html

Also the reviews on the amazon link I put above give an excellent insight into how it works.

Looks like a good technology, which has some automated functionality too it

Would be nice to see if I can get a VOIP phone like Avaya that could do that, or integrate Avaya with that system

Working towards DFD

• Nerd Support Group now named - NERDI Support - Same Phishing and malware Scam though.
    Got a cold call from 'John Smith' (nice Indian Name considering the thickness of his Indian accent combined with the a tang of call centre trained American), calling from the London (yeah, right) offices of NERDI. He advised me that he is a registered Microsoft Technician and that they have had confirmation of over 3000 virus/errors on my PC. Now, I know this is a scam, no one cold calls you to offer assistance with you 'Problem' PC, so I tagged along. What i need to do is turn on my computer, open the windows start menu (which he explained to me like a 4 year old child, i got annoyed at this point and told him to get on with it as I know my way around a PC and windows) and to open the 'RUN' function (alarm bells should now be ringing), then to enter the acronym for brining up the event viewer, something like 'eventvwr'. Now I know perfectly well what this is, does and contains, so again i played along. He the proceeded to ask me to confirm some of the 'Errors' I was getting, I did, ' Oh on, you have a number of system errors caused by Trojan virus's' which apparently my world class virus software cant remove because it doesn't know it exists, and for a small fee (£50) and allowing him access to control my PC remotely he would rid my PC of all the infected files and errors. Whilst this was going on I was actually Googling his company name 'NERDI' and for event viewer phishing scams, low and behold, i may not be able to find any trace of a company called NERDI but this scam has been running for years, previously in Australia. I asked John what country he was calling from (so that I could suitably insult him before I hung up on him) and the kicker, 'Im based in London'. Well suffice to say that I told him to move away swiftly and procreate with his mothers !!! (or something towards that fashion) and hung up on him. Can you believe he called straight back to ask why i had insulted him and that he certainly was not running a scam to either get access to my PCs files or my bank/card details. I offered the same statement about his mum and hung up. Thankfully no further calls have come through.
    Be warned, this scam appears to be alive and well and now operating with UK telephone numbers. Do not give them your details. Do not pay for their service. this is a phishing scam that has obviously been sold onto someone new using an Indian based call unit or office.
    And finally. Microsoft will not cold call you for any reason what so ever.
    The only reason you would receive a call from Microsoft, especially for IT related issues, is because you have requested them to call you through one of their service/maintenance channels.
    If you haven’t called them first, they are not from Microsoft.
  • Lil306
    Thanks for reply, please break your paragraph down next time into sections. It's a pain reading it all in one go, not easy on the eyes :(

Working towards DFD

• N20Y1D
    N20Y1D Posts: 2,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 December 2011 at 2:58PM
    My mum got conned by these "nerd-i.com" people over the weekend.. any ideas on what to do? shes cancelled the card but just wondered what to do about her pc? reformat??
    TESCO EVERY LITTLE change to the t&cs HELPS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport