Incredible wedding dress website!

Houseofbrides.com is a US website where gowns are offered cheap.

You just choose the designer you want (loads of designers are offered), type in the style number and they tell you their price.

The Alfred Angelo dress I like is £700 in Britain, but this site is offering the exact same dress for $499.

At current exchange rates ($1.80 to the pound) that works out at £277! I don't know how much tax you'd have to pay to bring it in to the country (17.5%?) though.

Does anyone have any idea whether this site is legit and whether this can actually be done?
I'm married now! Yippee!

Comments

• nh
    nh Posts: 567 Forumite
    I have just had a look at the customs/excise site and it seems VAT would be payable at 17.5% and duty would be payable at 3-9% (I suppose it depends what type of clothes you bring in).

A charge may also be payable to the Post Office for handling the customs bit and I suppose once the dress gets here it might be a bit creased and you would have to pay for your own alterations (tho some shops charge anyway) but surely it would be worth it?
    I'm married now! Yippee!
  • Has anyone bought from this site? I don't want to part with my cash without a few recomendations first.
    Prices seem too good to be true.
  • heleen
    heleen Posts: 116 Forumite
    Do you have any firends in the US that you could have it shipped to first? That way if there's anythign wrong it is easier to retunr.

Your friend could then put on the dress, wear it for 5 minutes and mail it to you claiming the content is "worn clothing" ... this may then not get duty on it and technically you're not lying!
    I love it when a plan comes together :rotfl:
  • I don't know anyone in the US. The dresses are really good value. But then again I might just hire them anyway.
  • I bought my dress from america and had it sent over, i got it from https://www.netbride.com

My dress in this country is £850 and even with the vat and customs charges my dress only came to £300. They sell bridesmaids dresses too.

I would definately recommend buying it from america!
    Thanks to all competition posters!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport