Phone given to a six year old?

Comments

• NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

Many parents use tablets as substitute parents. ...

Do you have a source for this assertion?
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,665
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 16 August 2018 at 5:02PM
    I have actually heard about toddlers trying to enlarge a biscuit by making that finger and thumb action that they evidently use on mummy's smartphone to make images bigger.

Could be daddy's phone or the family tablet??? You make so many digs at mum's on this thread and mums in the housewives thread it makes me wonder whether it's mums rather than phones for 6 year olds you really have an issue with. Why can't people parent differently, whether it's using technology, working, or any other choices, and others just accept that it's a valid choices and we're all trying to do the best we can for our families?
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    NeilCr wrote: »
    Do you have a source for this assertion?

Experience of myself and my colleagues and friends who teach in other schools, both in affluent areas and deprived areas.

Sorry are opinions banned now?
  • NeilCr
    Forumite
    Experience of myself and my colleagues and friends who teach in other schools, both in affluent areas and deprived areas.

Sorry are opinions banned now?

Not at all. Just interested in where you got this view from. Did, I, in any way suggest that you couldn't have an opinion?

My experience with friends, relatives of my partner and teachers is the opposite.

There are, certainly, a few parents who act that way but the majority do not. Interestingly, we live in a non affluent area.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Its almost as if you didn't read the last paragraph... A lot of what your children is doing is normal, counting is common as songs are prevalent, but a lot of it is rote counting without any realisation as to what 'one' or 'two' is, rather a rote 'onetwothreefourfive' I am not belittling anything but what your children appear to be doing is fairly expected.

Many parents use tablets as substitute parents. They put a programme on to put a child to bed, to keep them quiet in the car, to keep them quiet when a friend comes over etc. Children should not be learning anything from a tablet alone, it should be used to enhance learning. Alongside physical books, outdoor trips, being read to by parents, singing songs with human beings, tablets are fine, but when its the only stimulus a child has (and that is the case for many) its simply not good enough. No one is saying it will make children less advanced than their peers, but it will not do. Full stop...

Its not, they certainly know what 1 2 3 4 5 is, As I said they are fairly advanced for their age and the youngest starting nursery is more advanced than what is expected as was the eldest, the teacher has concerns they will be bored while waiting for others to catchup.

And yes that's what I am saying they are used to enhance learning, they aren't the tools of the devil that turn children into zombies who dont know how to deal with the real world that some are making out
  • davidwood681
    davidwood681 Posts: 881 Forumite
    edited 17 August 2018 at 10:58AM
    Anyone who gives a phone to a 6 year old should hang their heads in shame.

We are currently suffering for a serious social problem due to phone addiction that will only get worse over time.

Some adults can't go out for a meal and leave their phones switched off. It's pathetic

Watch this ( especially around the 1 minute mark )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL8AsaEJDdo

We have created a generation who are unable to live in the real world
  • NeilCr
    Forumite

Some adults can't go out for a meal and leave their phones switched off. It's pathetic

I don't know anyone who switches their phone off when out for a meal. Many have good reasons to be contactable.

Equally, no-one in our circle will use their mobile while in company unless it is necessary.
  • NeilCr wrote: »
    I don't know anyone who switches their phone off when out for a meal. Many have good reasons to be contactable.

Equally, no-one in our circle will use their mobile while in company unless it is necessary.

How many of them can have a meal and leave their phones in their pocket or bag......and I mean not touch it for the whole meal?

If they can I presume thy're of an age similar to me but we have generations now that HAVE to be on their phone.
  • NeilCr
    Forumite
    How many of them can have a meal and leave their phones in their pocket or bag......and I mean not touch it for the whole meal?

If they can I presume thy're of an age similar to me but we have generations now that HAVE to be on their phone.

All of them - unless they get an important call.

Age group early 40s to 70s - with one 82 year old.

I have one friend who is social media addicted - but we've knocked it out of him at meal times.
  • NeilCr wrote: »
    All of them - unless they get an important call.

Age group early 40s to 70s - with one 82 year old.

I have one friend who is social media addicted - but we've knocked it out of him at meal times.

Yep, different generation :money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport