PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Comments

• Elona_2
    Elona_2 Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    MrsL

There are always people happy to tell us we are doing something wrong, whether it is saving and buying things for cash rather than on credit, paying bills promptly rather than wait for repeated requests, study in our own time etc.

DH lost count of the times he was told by friends he had grown up with how silly he was to go to evening classes, to take an apprenticeship, go to university, teacher training and work away from his home town. Years later when he was settled in a good job, company car etc the same people told him how "lucky" he was as if his hard work was somehow "cheating" and unfair to them personally.
  • Don't I know it Elona! when we were on our overseas job in Germany all the other folk working for the company spent their nice increased wages because the company was paying the rent and school fees and an overseas allowance on holidays, trips abroad, weekends away, new clothes, treats and lots of meals out and we saved ours, we had a trip back to the UK every half term because Nell was boarding and one holiday in the 3 years we were there when we drove to France for a fortnight. We were able to come home and pay off our mortgage buy a new car and have money in the bank most other people came back with memories (nothing wrong with that) and nothing to show for 3 years away. Did we ever get criticised for not living the high life, we were odd man out both with the Ex Pats in the company and our acquaintance here, you just can't win BUT we owned the house and they were all still paying off mortgages, makes you think!!!
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 10 August 2018 at 2:47PM
    tori.k wrote: »
    You can also let it dry out and grind it into powder fertilizer ( go easy as its very concentrated) chop and drop as a mulch. Its a gift that keeps on giving but a key player in any permaculture garden.

Now that could be a thought. I hadnt thought of grinding it up to powder - and I do have a VERY powerful liquidizer. Could be an idea to let it "dry out" as you say in a greenhouse I have. Hmmm....

I can feel an experiment coming on...
  • Elona wrote: »
    MrsL

There are always people happy to tell us we are doing something wrong, whether it is saving and buying things for cash rather than on credit, paying bills promptly rather than wait for repeated requests, study in our own time etc.

DH lost count of the times he was told by friends he had grown up with how silly he was to go to evening classes, to take an apprenticeship, go to university, teacher training and work away from his home town. Years later when he was settled in a good job, company car etc the same people told him how "lucky" he was as if his hard work was somehow "cheating" and unfair to them personally.

Reminds of the saying, "the harder I work the luckier I get."
  • mattpaint
    mattpaint Posts: 294 Forumite
    Does anyone have any recommendations for good organic tinned Italian tomatoes?
  • We use the cheapest of the cheap chopped ones from Lidl, they taste perfectly OK in everything I make too and cost what I can afford to pay. I can't afford organic!
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Elona wrote: »
    MrsL

There will always be people who want to have their cake and eat it. We,ve always been a very prudent couple, (modest holidays mostly in this country, living within our means, no expensive cars replaced regularly, always saved a proportion of our income).

I can't understand why people say "you're lucky to have paid off your mortgage so early" as if we'd won the pools or something". I just say "well you,ve got memories of some lovely holidays" and you see their eyes cloud over with wistfulness when they're approaching retirement, still haven,t paid off the mortgage, or can,t afford to retire because of other debts.

They could have made the same choices but didn't. You can't have your cake and eat it and the sensible people are those who decide what sort of cake it is they want early on and are single minded about achieving their goals. It's not easy to make sacrifices when you're young, aspirational and everybody else is spending their money and having a good time . But it's a darned sight harder when you're old, perhaps in poor health still trying to pay off the mortgage, can,t afford to retire or put on the heating when it' s cold and frosty.

Nobody knows what misfortunes are going to hit them later in life but it makes sense to arm yourself for the ones you can at least partially protect yourself against.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I actually prefer the Lidl tomatoes, they taste nicer than more expensive ones in very thick sauce - those can taste very gloopy. Also Lidl tomatoes usually (though not always) come in plain unlined cans whereas Aldi tomatoes are in plastic lined cans. The lining contains BPA which I try to avoid
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • I buy the cheap Sainsbury's own label tomatoes and they are fine.
  • Elona_2
    Elona_2 Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Primrose

I used to say to dds that if we really wanted something then we could probably afford it, by means of cutting down elsewhere but that we could not afford "everything!" DH used to ask me if we were economising when a big bill had come up and when I asked him why he would say "We are eating better!" By that he meant that I was using the slow cooker, the bread maker. making pea and ham soup, home made pizza, quiches etc. and using up the cupboard, fridge and freezer.

I used to have a handful of recipes that were especially frugal like savoury pancakes, homity pies, quiche. pizza and pizza wheels. soups using ham shanks or cooking bacon bits. stuffed mushrooms and chips or home made veggie burgers etc. The breakfast muffin recipe I got from the tightwad gazette remains a firm favourite - as a bacon, cheese and onion recipe or a sweet one using stewed apple and cinnamon or rhubarb etc. To make a dozen muffins using one large egg is certainly economical yet no one who has tried it has thought of it as an economy drive and they have always gone down well.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback