IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Britannia Parking PCN

Pigsty
Pigsty Posts: 4 Newbie
edited 9 August 2018 at 3:40PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hello

I was wondering if anyone could help with a parking charge notice I have received.

My car was parked in a Waitrose car park (Wilmslow) with the entry time being 12:50:42 and exit 14:51:50 - the PCN is because the car over stayed the maximum time allowed to park at the car park :( The third party does not dispute this - the car did overstay but £40 (or £70 after 14 days) seems so harsh for just over a minute!!

The third parties mitigating circumstances aren't all that great - gone out for lunch and the bill was late, coupled with a massive rain downfall meant that they couldn't run quite as quickly as normal and in a pair of slippery sandals.

The signage in the carpark shows 2 hours maximum stay - although I have just seen this article which states 90 mins - cant post the link but this is it with spaces removed! wilmslow .co .uk/news/article/17005/supermarket-tightens-up-car-parking-rules. The driver is going to clarify because obviously if the signage is incorrect it is even more annoying!

The third party will pay it if required but it seems so harsh - although they accept they have proof that the car was parked for over the limit! They are just more annoyed that it was only for a blumin minute/ the signage is wrong if not! Also they really do not like private parking firms!

Any advice on whether the driver should just pay it and let it go or if you think it is worth an appeal would be great!

Thank you for your help! :j

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 9 August 2018 at 2:19PM
    Everyone is politely asked to read up on this in the newbies FAQ thread near the top of the forum before starting a new thread

Go there now to learn about the game you are now caught up in and how to deal with this

Throughout here you are advised never to reveal who was driving

You need to edit your post to remove details of who was driving

The ppcs monitor this forum and can use your posts against you

Don't know why you ask about appeals being worth it??

Do you mean worth your time?

You do need to spend some, maybe a lot on this!!
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    The signage in the carpark shows 2 hours maximum stay
    Go and take readable photos of that signage NOW - that's your potential get out of jail card. Have someone hold a copy of the day's newspaper alongside of it to prove contemporaneousness, just in case you can't get the date and time stamp to show on your photos.

Then you need to send the initial appeal template from the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #1 to Britannia - within their 28-day time limit.

While you're taking the photos, go in and see the store manager (not Customer Services) and complain strongly and ask them to get this cancelled.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Pigsty
    Pigsty Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 9 August 2018 at 3:11PM
    Thank you for your replies - I have edited the original post to remove who was driving.

Apologies - I was looking through the board and didn't read the newbies FAQ - I am having one of those days!! Of to read those now!

The driver will get a pic with the sign asap - they are 100% that it states 2 hours as they did check because they knew the car would be parked there whilst they grabbed a couple of items from Waitrose and then they were going out to lunch!

Thanks again! I know £40 isn't a massive amount but it does grate to pay it!
  • Quentin
    More editing required in your OP and your #4

Use the third party as in the driver did this/the keeper did that etc so that you don't reveal who was driving
  • Umkomaas
    I will get a pic with the sign asap
    I would get on with that as a priority, or risk a sinking feeling when you eventually get round to it - the 'new' time limits have been in place since the start of the year and those signs are well overdue for changing. Miss the chance to get the photos exposes you more to up to 6 years of hassle, intimidation and possibly legal action from the PPC.

http://www.wilmslow.co.uk/news/article/17005/supermarket-tightens-up-car-parking-rules
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

• Thanks again to you both!

I am going to get a friend to take a picture of the signage today as they work in Wilmslow.

Def a priority! :)

Working my way through the newbie post!
  • Umkomaas
    Pigsty wrote: »
    Thanks again to you both!

I am going to get a friend to take a picture of the signage today as they work in Wilmslow.

Def a priority! :)

Working my way through the newbie post!

Ask them to make sure the wording (including any small print) is perfectly legible in the photos.

• Quentin
    Still more editing needed

You still use "I" instead of the driver or the keeper or the passenger etc!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure