PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

I need to sell my house!

Comments

• When I was a teenager we lived in sussex but bought a farm on Rousay for holidays etc to totally escape and it was wonderful if you had a good summer and ferocious if you didn't.

Unlike this property though it had bags of character as it was an old croft house. This house looks like it could be anywhere in the country there is nothing ' special' about it. The description from OP was wonderful in terms of orca's etc and then you see the house and what a let down. Better photo's a must .

I cant see much of a market for it tbh as 3 acres is not enough to really do much with, especially if you are aiming at small holding / lifestyle buyers and yet for ordinary families 3 acres is a big garden to have to pay someone to cut.

I wish the OP luck.
  • ProDave wrote: »

I have also speculated before what the "problem" is and I believe it to be the SNP. As long as there is a continuing threat of another referendum and Scottish Independence, then most English buyers are simply not interested in moving to Scotland, and is is an unfortunate fact that large houses like this near the top of the market are outside the reach of locals on lower wages.

It is a telling fact than when we tried to sell, we only had one viewing from an Engishman. Had it been on the market pre 2008, it would have sold very quickly with loads of English bidders probably forcing a closing date and best and final offers.

Drop the price to give it away might make is sell if it drops enough for a local to buy it, but I assume you want to buy another property, you would also have to find one where the vendor will match that price drop. Unlikely.

I'd forgotten them - yes....that does "give cause for pause" whilst all that stuff is still going on....for however long....:cool:
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    ProDave wrote: »
    As long as there is a continuing threat of another referendum and Scottish Independence, then most English buyers are simply not interested in moving to Scotland
    Not sure why not tbh - the more ardent indie supporters among my friends are originally from England, and I would have thought more might enjoy the prospect of escaping Brexit.

Besides, from an Orkney perspective both Holyrood and Westminster are pretty remote.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I think Orkney and Shetland have been returning a Liberal/Liberal Democrat MP since 1950. They are certainly not a SNP stronghold and I think that the only thing the majority of people in the Northern Isles fear more than being ruled by Westminster is to be ruled by Holyrood. I think some inhabitants were even talking about becoming part of Norway should Scotland become independent.

Besides, as davidmcn says, a lot of ardent SNP supporters are actually English.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 8 August 2018 at 2:52PM
    A lot of the more "ardent" Nationalist supporters here in West Wales are English too.

But then - there are a lot of English that are "British".....iyswim:D and it is disconcerting to find people from one's own part of the country saying things like "It's THEIR country (implication - not ours too then!)" and apparently not understanding why everyone needs to be able to understand what's going on....:cool:

I've not figured that one out yet - but guess, in their case, they've come here to escape England and maybe want to forget they are still in Britain iyswim??? I can relate to wanting to get away from overpopulation (and "build/build/build" that goes with it) and the risk of fracking - but don't wish to "throw the baby out with the bathwater" ...
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Part of the issue is the cost to build, the land is low value and that won't change whatever you build on it because there is plenty there.

Kitting out what may have been a roofless set of walls into a dormer bungalow won't make money.

Is that set of land and buildings worth 200k, probably in current condition.
    (if you wanted to live there you could not build what is there if the land was free)

The main issue no one is buying, the value drops as the place deteriorates till it becomes a plot of land again.
  • usefulmale
    usefulmale Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    Sounds Idyllic, but from scrolling through the photos you'd never know it.
    It looks like an ugly house in need of updating in the middle of some scrubby farmland in a barren landscape. Nothing about it say "perfect country retreat".

I wonder if it would be worth getting professional photos done of the landscape around the house, the sun setting over the sea etc to make it look more appealing?

Agreed. I thought that photo of the lighthouse were the chimneys of a waste incinerator.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Becks32 wrote: »
    ... 3 years ...
    Price.

• ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 August 2018 at 4:47PM
    This one https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=52667723&sale=20272255&country=scotland sold for £205K in February, only 2 bedrooms and a very old no doubt cold and expensive to heat cottage. I would have chosen the OP's house in preference any day.

It was listed in July 2015, so took 3 almost 3 years to sell, just as I said.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    usefulmale wrote: »
    Agreed. I thought that photo of the lighthouse were the chimneys of a waste incinerator.

So did I, it was only the OP's comment about the lighthouse that made me believe they weren't.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport