• sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My Weekly Online Grocery shopping saved me £34.04 this week :T

1 hopper bus journey 75p (29th July)

2 hopper bus journeys £1.50 (30th July)

5 hopper bus journeys £3.75 (31st July)

Free Evening Standard newspaper 60p (4th July)

20p Roadkill (4th July)

Morrisons Bargains:

8 X Haribo Supermix sharing bags 50p each reduced from 77p each which saved me £1.76

200g bar of Cadbury's Fruit and Nut £1.50 saved me 50p

4 Cooked Chicken Legs £4 and 20 Cooked Chicken Wings £7 from the Hot Delicatessen counter which saved me £2.10

Current Total = £7069.10
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 5 August 2018 at 6:20PM
    Options
    Wow....SUgarbaby - over £7k saved already. That's fantastic. Just shows doesn't it, anyway you have inspired me.

My new grandson is growing so fast, at just 4 weeks old he has outgrown some of his clothes already.

Unfortunately DIL so far has insisted on only premium brands of clothing and will not countenance anything pre loved.

Anyway I looked on eBay and found some "baby bundles" 3 to 6 months, all brand new with tags. With postage it comes to £23. It's mainly Tesco and Sainsbury's so hopefully they should be decent quality.. I reckon I made a saving of at least 100 per cent.

Of course the pre loved bundles would save even more but she won't go for it. Such a shame because at this stage babies only wear a garment a couple of times.

You have really inspired me to try harder. I am definitely going to keep a record of my saving and spending next year. And following your lead I will make a point of trying places like B@M and the Supersaver type shops.
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    Thank you LL

I have found that making a note of all of my savings from trying to spend my available money as wisely as possible, keeps me constantly searching for new bargains. :)

I have done quite a lot of spending recently with family birthdays, but it has been worth it for the joy and great memories that was had by the birthday boys and other family. :D

I will also be doing spending soon after my son has his A Level results, as then I will know what he needs to send him off to University with.

I have looked at Ikea UK online and will be buying most of the things he needs from there as he will only need things like his kitchen ware, crockery and cutlery to be of the basic kind. :)

It is a real shame that your DIL will not consider used baby clothes. I was really glad to make use of local charity shops when my children were babies. Back then even really good brands of baby clothes in charity shops were sold for less than 50p, sometimes as little as 10p each. :D Then I used Primark when my younger son was a toddler for all his clothing needs up to when he started school.
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    The baby bundle arrived this morning. I have to say I am very pleased. There are some nice little outfits in there. Yes when my two were babies I used to get a lot of their clothes from charity shops.

Then when they were a bit older I started a small business selling children's wear. I didn't make a fortune. It was enough to keep my children in nice clothes and shoes and a little bit of profit left over. It meant I could earn money and still basically be a stay at home mum.

This was before the days of the internet so I used to do clothing parties, coffee mornings etc. Not exactly the big league :rotfl: but it was enough to keep things ticking over.

I love IKEA. Great designs, great prices.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sugarbaby, don't rush to buy your DS anything until you know what accommodation he has. What is supplied varies from one place to another. But you're right to look for basic: I've kitted three sons out and seen about a third of it come back again ... not always the same stuff as I sent them with! :rotfl:
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Februarycat
    Februarycat Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Wow....SUgarbaby - over £7k saved already. That's fantastic. Just shows doesn't it, anyway you have inspired me.

My new grandson is growing so fast, at just 4 weeks old he has outgrown some of his clothes already.

Unfortunately DIL so far has insisted on only premium brands of clothing and will not countenance anything pre loved.

Anyway I looked on eBay and found some "baby bundles" 3 to 6 months, all brand new with tags. With postage it comes to £23. It's mainly Tesco and Sainsbury's so hopefully they should be decent quality.. I reckon I made a saving of at least 100 per cent.

Of course the pre loved bundles would save even more but she won't go for it. Such a shame because at this stage babies only wear a garment a couple of times.

You have really inspired me to try harder. I am definitely going to keep a record of my saving and spending next year. And following your lead I will make a point of trying places like B@M and the Supersaver type shops.

My son's partner was the same when my granddaughter arrived, would not have anything secondhand. We have a lovely preloved children's clothes shop in town and most of the stuff looks hardly worn, but she kicked off when me and my son got an outfit from there before granddaughter arrived, it's not worth upsetting her over it now, I just have to get new stuff to keep the peace!
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    I bought 5 X Satsuma shower gel 250ml from The Body Shop online £25 and received 3 free strawberry products worth £20 and free delivery worth £2.49 because I had spent £25. (I also received double points on this order so I have a £5 voucher to use against my next order. I also got cashback of £1.25 from Quidco on this order)

I bought 2 men's leather belts from eBay on buy one get one half price offer for £8.98 including P & P which saved me £3

I bought a pair of Men's Condemned Nation Sulcis Black Shorts from eBay including P & P which saved me £24.99

Current Total = £7119.58

I have teenage and adult Nieces and Nephews who would not wear anything except branded clothing and the same goes for my oldest granddaughter and my grandson. :D I will indulge them only if I can find what they want on special offer online or else on eBay for a fraction of the retail cost. ;) Otherwise they may find themselves not getting anything at all from me. :rotfl:
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    My son's partner was the same when my granddaughter arrived, would not have anything secondhand. We have a lovely preloved children's clothes shop in town and most of the stuff looks hardly worn, but she kicked off when me and my son got an outfit from there before granddaughter arrived, it's not worth upsetting her over it now, I just have to get new stuff to keep the peace!

I agree, it's not worth upsetting the Apple cart.

I have bought this small bundle as an experiment, just to see how it goes. I won't let on it's from eBay. She will see the Sainsbury's and Tesco's tags. If she doesn't like them and won't let the baby wear them then I won't bother again.....I shall just keep my money for myself and not waste it on clothes that won't be worn.

I once bought my DIL a beautiful black Georgio Armani dress. £3 from a charity shop, immaculate with tags, never worn. She threw it away, she didn't even donate it. Never again. I would have loved that dress but it didn't fit me. If I had known she was going to do that I could have sold it On EBay for a nice little profit.

SUgarbaby......I think you are right, I certainly won't be wasting my money on gifts that are not well received or appreciated.
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    sugarbaby, don't rush to buy your DS anything until you know what accommodation he has. What is supplied varies from one place to another. But you're right to look for basic: I've kitted three sons out and seen about a third of it come back again ... not always the same stuff as I sent them with! :rotfl:

Thanks SavvySue that is why I have a list but have not bought anything as yet because we have to wait for my son to have his A Level results to know which of his offers he will be accepting. One of the offers comes with free accommodation and that is the one we would prefer he gets the right grades for, but we shall see. Only my younger daughter went to University of my 4 children until now and she certainly came home with everything I had bought for her to use at University, but some of the pots and other kitchen utensils had hardly been used :rotfl:
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    I agree, it's not worth upsetting the Apple cart.

I have bought this small bundle as an experiment, just to see how it goes. I won't let on it's from eBay. She will see the Sainsbury's and Tesco's tags. If she doesn't like them and won't let the baby wear them then I won't bother again.....I shall just keep my money for myself and not waste it on clothes that won't be worn.

I once bought my DIL a beautiful black Georgio Armani dress. £3 from a charity shop, immaculate with tags, never worn. She threw it away, she didn't even donate it. Never again. I would have loved that dress but it didn't fit me. If I had known she was going to do that I could have sold it On EBay for a nice little profit.

SUgarbaby......I think you are right, I certainly won't be wasting my money on gifts that are not well received or appreciated.

LL what an absolute shame that your DIL felt the need to throw away a BNWT Giorgio Armani dress. A criminal waste of a beautiful dress. :p
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback