Occupational Therapists

Options
Can OT's make a decision on behalf of a disabled person that this housing is adequate or inadequate for them living there?

Can housing associations ask for a recommendation from an OT? Over the reasons from the applicant or applicants?

Comments

• wolfehouse
    wolfehouse Posts: 1,394 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by ‘over’ the opinion of the applicant. Most housing associations need to be sure the tenancy would suit your needs for a reasonable amount of time.

I work as an OT in homelessness. We are often asked by caseworkers what kind of housing does someone needs (not wants and not what is the absolute ideal, that is a different question) so they can fulfill their legal duty of providing one offer of ‘suitable’ housing.

This advise might also extend to whether their current housing is ‘adequate’ (or suitable) which would inform a decision for casework to accept duty (to provide an offer) or not.

An area team social work ot might see whether adaptations or equipment might make current housing appropriate or might recommend a move as the only option.

All the above would be based on assessments which might include a lot of background about conditions and prognosis etc and also observation of mobility and maybe consulting doctors involved etc.

Even if an ot expresses an opinion, it is exactly that. It is then down to the policies of housing associations etc how they wish to react to that opinion. They usually have rules you can ask to see.
  • whambam
    whambam Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    So I guess in a nutshell there opinion can be influential over your decision if you need adequate housing and them saying you dont require it (They do not know as they do not live there, but made a decision on the day)

From experience it seems the authorities make decisions for you without your consent and when you go to court or make complaints they back down.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    whambam wrote: »
    So I guess in a nutshell there opinion can be influential over your decision if you need adequate housing and them saying you dont require it (They do not know as they do not live there, but made a decision on the day)
    Yes of course their views overrule yours, i'm not sure why you would think it wouldn't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure