Disabled Student-Universal Credit

1235»

Comments

• Yes you are correct, and as you quite rightly say it is a loan-not grant(ie income)
  • I have requested a breakdown of how the student loan has been applied, the DWP have not yet applied LCW.
    I will contact Durham University Disabilities Unit.

Thanks once again for your time and help.
    PS Can never get hold of DWP, but they had the nerve to send an automated email to check account at 0251am this morning to check the account!
  • Thanks for that, yes they should pay £120 per month during the academic term(ie 9 months) and £377 per month whilst on home.( once they acknowledge the LCW-Ben's award was pre April 2017- so the LCW award should apply.
  • Hello ,
    Just an update, I have spoken at length to the Disability Rights UK students helpline(0330 995 0414- open 11am-1pm Tuesday and Thursday.).
    It is apparent that this is not an isolated problem, of all the issues raised 80 per cent of the calls are benefits related and specifically, one issue, when disabled students are forced to migrate from HB and ESA onto UC accounts for 75 per cent of those.
    They have regular meetings with DWP ministers, so please if you do have any issues relating to students with a disability, please contact them, it provides extra strength when meeting with
    the DWP for a more sympathetic hearing.The DWP are so defensive, it really is difficult to deal with them and get definitive answers.
    Regards,
    Stuart
  • Hello,
    An update on my son , Ben's situation.
    The DWP, having re-examined his case, have acknowledged that he does have a LCW and are are now paying him £119 per month, meaning he is now a mere £3000 worse off than under the previous system, with no change of circumstances.
    We continue to lobby our MP and the DWP, hopefully we can help instigate a rethink,
    Regards,
    Stuart.
  • susieb
    susieb Posts: 1,512 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    One thing seems to have been overlooked unless ive missed something. Does your son get the special support element of student loan? He should as he gets pip, this is an extra £1100 a yearm however this makes a massive difference on UC as getting this special support allowance means £3K of the maintence loan is disregarded for benefit purposes.
    I went through all this in detail with my daughter and disability rights were involved, shes in support group so that makes things a little better for her, and she ended up £80 a month better on UC.
    Always on the hunt for a bargain
  • Hello,
    Thanks for your response, yes Ben does get the special support grant, which is discounted for UC purposes.Unfortunately the student loan itself is regarded as income and reduces UC pound for pound, reducing the award to zero( although the LCW has now been awarded, giving him £119 per month),

Regards,

Stuart.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family