Free Fruit and Veg for all

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Pizza can have fruits and veg on it :)

I doubt a pot noodle has been within a mile of anything resembling real fruit or veg though :)

Do-Nuts can be filled with fruity jam :)

Does your dentist not tell you that fruit is bad now? Ours does.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    14 signatures on the petition already. Only another 99986 before it will be discussed in parliament.
  • davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,066 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Can I have my fruit fermented please?
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
  • They'd have to hand out free loo roll as well if you managed to eat £25 worth of F&V each week. You can overdo a good thing.

Now, back to reality,
  • £25 a week!!
    My food bill for a week is only £10.
    What would I do with £25 of fruit and veg a week?
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
  • So...the OP wants EVERY citizen, young and old to get £25 worth of fresh fruit and veg a week?...even new born babies???? That should be interesting!

As it happens, I am on benefits...I currently have 5 different types of fresh veg in the kitchen, and 3 or 4 different sorts of fresh fruit ...and then there are tinned and frozen too.....somehow I manage to have a variety of fresh fruit and veg each day - without a £25 handout!...It's called making healthy choices!
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 17 November 2018 at 4:29PM
    I've just added up all the fruit and vegetables (including tinned sweetcorn and tomatoes) up for the last week. A total of £20.29. (Some of this was eaten by my OH such as a sweet potato, the odd carrot etc but the majority was me). I'd say I alone usually spend between £14-£22 on fruit and veg a week depending on what I already have in. Next week I'll likely spend less as I have a lot in right now.
    As my signature states I am a vegan. I mainly eat fruit and vegetables eating 10+ portions a day easily. We budget as a couple £200/month so £100 for me. So even at £85/month on fruit and veg (close to £20/wk) that leaves me £15 for GF oats, GF pasta, rice, pulses (can or dry), spices, tofu, coffee, tea etc.

So not only do I think £25/person is too much for the majority of the population, it would also be a horribly expensive system to run.

It's simular to these healthy start vouchers. I believe they are too expensive to run and many go to waste (I've seen many people go through my till with these vouchers that are out of date either trying to use them or I see the date as they get those they can use). They are a good idea but these schemes are very expensive and are open to abuse.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • A better idea that this would be a government run fruit and veg box idea using local farms where possible.
    If you qualify for the scheme you log into you online account, or have a paper version you can fill out at your local council/job centre and then use you allowance for your box. These could be delivered by area to homes or on a pick up bases. You can have the allowance roll over to the next month (say the amount is avalible for a year once it hits the account?) so when you need less you don't lose out and so when you need more you are able.
    This would likely be a more economical idea than the voucher scheme and would help local farmers too.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I was in the quid shop Friday night to get some sweets for the flicks, a quid I spent. Couple in front were in with their DHSS cheque and bout £20 of food for the weekend. Ten not poodles, 4 multipacks of crisps, multi packs of sweets. No veg no food! I bet their voucher would had gone for a packet of fags down the dog and duck!

DHSS cheque? I think you'll find that benefits are paid into bank accounts. Also no such thing as DHSS
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Murphybear wrote: »
    DHSS cheque? I think you'll find that benefits are paid into bank accounts. Also no such thing as DHSS

I was wondering ....:rotfl:
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills