Being charged double the dig money since boyfriend moved in

1234568»

Comments

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    You have to wonder how OP managed to rack up so much credit card debt while only paying £250 all-in!
    Blimey, missed that signature. I thought the reason the OP was staying with their godparent was to save for a deposit to buy a house. I guess the answer to my unanswered question re savings must be £0 then (in the 7 years she's only paid out £250pm) :think: If she can't afford to save at least several hundred a month on that, she certainly ain't going to be buying a house! Prob not for decades.

I really think it's time to sit down for a proper discussion and tell the godparent that she's not saved anything, is in debt, and maybe they should think about making this a permanent arrangement (or maybe that's what the godmother presumes anyway).

Not being argumentative, bullish or whatever else people are reading into some comments. I really think the OP needs to have that discussion.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Loved that link to the hotel of Mum and Dad although some of the figures they used were laughable, imho. Another £6 pcm for gas and electricity?

With all the bloody chargers these 20-somethings have, I would have thought they would add up to at least that on their own before you even consider hairdryers, extra laundry costs, possibly another TV, the gods know how many games consoles, yadda, yadda.
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Loved that link to the hotel of Mum and Dad although some of the figures they used were laughable, imho. Another £6 pcm for gas and electricity?

With all the bloody chargers these 20-somethings have, I would have thought they would add up to at least that on their own before you even consider hairdryers, extra laundry costs, possibly another TV, the gods know how many games consoles, yadda, yadda.

What do you think they are charging? Car batteries? :rotfl:

For example a mobile phone with a 3500 Mah battery would cost less than 0.3p to charge fully if the charger was only 70% efficient. A tablet may have a battery 3 times the size so that would still be less than 1p to charge fully.

A typical hairdryer is about 1500 Watts max when being used. So even at 20 minutes use per day that's only 55p of electricity per week.

New washing machines on average use about 1 Kwh per cycle, even older ones wouldn't use anywhere near 2 Kwh.

I could go on but the point i'm making is people seem to think that an extra person uses loads of electricity when in reality devices use a lot less than people think. My entire house has never used £6 in electricity per week since I've moved in and i have smart devices everywhere.

So considering that the house would be heated anyway £6 pcm for Gas and Electric for an extra person sounds very realistic to me.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    An extra person, from two to three in a. Small flat can make huge amount of difference in ways that you can't put a price on.

An increasing lack of privacy
    Loss of the owners personal space
    An increasing amount of wet laundry that had to be continually deal with
    The difficult of inviting your own friends in when the place is continually occupied
    The pressure on the owner to not lose their temper when the tenants behave selfishly because of the fear of offending relatives

And possibly lots of other things.
    Personally I think the Godmother is a saint to have put up with it so long. She has certainly gone the extra mile in inviting the boyfriend to stay. I wonder if the full measure of her kindness has really been appreciated?
  • Halfie
    Halfie Posts: 132 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    What do you do? You have 2 options

1) Be grateful that you've got secure and safe accommodation and respect the fact your Godmother is willing to let you and your boyfriend stay in her home for a nominal amount, or
    2) Move out.

My son is 18 and we take £530 a month off him (he earns £1300 bring home) for board. He needs to understand that £200 a month or so isn't realistic in terms of monthly outgoings for a home. Before anyone slates us, we keep £130 for the household pot and £400 goes into savings for him for when he moves out. We buy everything he needs, he buys the things he wants (and car insurance!)
  • Takmon
    Halfie wrote: »
    What do you do? You have 2 options

1) Be grateful that you've got secure and safe accommodation and respect the fact your Godmother is willing to let you and your boyfriend stay in her home for a nominal amount, or
    2) Move out.

My son is 18 and we take £530 a month off him (he earns £1300 bring home) for board. He needs to understand that £200 a month or so isn't realistic in terms of monthly outgoings for a home. Before anyone slates us, we keep £130 for the household pot and £400 goes into savings for him for when he moves out. We buy everything he needs, he buys the things he wants (and car insurance!)

I don't see the logic in this, how will secretly saving money for him help him learn how to manage money?. You would be much better off teaching him the importance of saving so it becomes a life long habit.
    I don't see how taking an excessive amount of board off of him will teach him anything. You should be getting him involved in the bills so he can see what needs to be paid for to run a house. This is far more useful than simply taking a lump of money off him each month and somehow thinking this teaches him some lesson on money.
  • Halfie
    Halfie Posts: 132 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Takmon wrote: »
    I don't see the logic in this, how will secretly saving money for him help him learn how to manage money?. You would be much better off teaching him the importance of saving so it becomes a life long habit.
    I don't see how taking an excessive amount of board off of him will teach him anything. You should be getting him involved in the bills so he can see what needs to be paid for to run a house. This is far more useful than simply taking a lump of money off him each month and somehow thinking this teaches him some lesson on money.

I didn't say we secretly saved it... He knows the £400 goes into savings (with the aim of this being for a deposit for a property) and we have explained the reasoning behind it which he completely understands and supports - that being he has a more realistic idea of what his disposal income will be when he has his own place.

He knows what needs to be paid to run the house as that was all discussed when we set his board amount and the additional savings amount so he could get used to paying a realistic amount. We also discuss budgeting with him and the importance of emergency funds as this is a life skill he hasn't mastered as yet.

Not sure why I need to justify myself to a stranger on the internet however, I was just letting the OP know they've got a good deal!
  • Takmon
    I didn't say we secretly saved it... He knows the £400 goes into savings (with the aim of this being for a deposit for a property) and we have explained the reasoning behind it which he completely understands and supports - that being he has a more realistic idea of what his disposal income will be when he has his own place.

That's even worse. Your showing you don't trust him to save the money himself and you saving it for him. How will he learn to save on his own if you do it all for him?
    He knows what needs to be paid to run the house as that was all discussed when we set his board amount and the additional savings amount so he could get used to paying a realistic amount. We also discuss budgeting with him and the importance of emergency funds as this is a life skill he hasn't mastered as yet.

Getting him involved in the bills and running of the house is the most effective way of him learning how to manage a household when he moves out.
    Not sure why I need to justify myself to a stranger on the internet however, I was just letting the OP know they've got a good deal!

But the OP is paying £250 a month and your son is paying £130 a month so in fact that shows the OP is paying more. Your figure of £130 a month is far more realistic for the extra costs of one person in an average house.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure