On a Mission

Comments

• Good luck! My DH wasn't appalling with money, but he was a mindless spender. It took him a few months longer than me to get with the MSE program, but he's pretty good now.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Mummy_bear
    Mummy_bear Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Mummybear - I think he should standing order some bill money to you on payday so what is left behind is his budget, and I always think in terms of "how many hours would I have to work to earn this" - that sort of thinking might scare him off of it.

Funny you mention this.

DH has always had issues spending. Years ago before kids I did this exact thing. He had his own account where a monthly 'pocket money' budget went in. However, it soon went and his overdraft would get bigger. Everyone used to say I was horrible for essentially giving him pocket money - but it had to be done. I wish I was stricter though

We had an open conversation about his spending. He says he's not sure why he does it. It's like he can't handle having money and that he feels he has to get rid of it, by just buying crap. He does it thoughtlessly and only later see's the consequences :(
    I'm glad he doesn't gamble.

I'm hopeful I can work on changing his ways and convince him that giving me all his money (to pay off debts) is just as good as wasting it on the latest gadget or game. :rotfl:
    My LBM May 2017, DH LBM July 2017- Total Debt (not Including Mortgage) £46444.23 :eek:
    £40773.61 /£46444.23 87.8% paid
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Lol giving it to you can get it out of his hands!

I do agree with pocket money idea, he needs it, I believe it's done in Japan. My old boss who retired last year used to get pocket money for cakes lol.

Money does burn a hole on my pocket too, I also don't like leaving it in my current account (because of the inefficiency) and keep buying investments (used to keep overpaying mortgage) - I kept cutting myself short. I find my aggressive investor self hard to argue with and was relieved when I got turned down for a second 0% credit card as then I could give myself an excuse to slow down

Things that have helped me a bit was
    1- when I had a regular saver account, which I can no longer justify Vs investing
    2- the spending credit card clears it's full balance each month so that balance is basically kept in current account, getting me used to a higher balance
    3- running 2 different reward current accounts requires me to keep more cash now because with a weekend or bank holiday I can't rely on the standing order to transfer money in time

It is a thing of habit I think, including the numbers he's used to seeing in his current account, for me that's never more than 1 months wage
  • Mummy_bear
    Good Morning

Well been quiet for a couple of days mainly as not much to report.

Got my weekly shop today. Although I don't actually need to get much as I've done a meal plan based on things I already have in the house.

Just counting down the days until payday really so that I can start the proper budgeting and debt busting!

I've decided to get back into survey's. I've mainly only done Valued Opinions. Been on there since 2013. I've not really ever hammered it to be honest. But I've just gone on my account and can see that between 2013-2016 I had earned £150 in vouchers. I really need to get on doing them more often.
    So far I've got £8.85 in my account. Going to aim to earn at least £40 before Xmas.

I'm also going to get back on YouGov. This I've never really dedicated time to either. I only have 1600 points. So I really need to knuckle down to earn my first £50

Been reading more and more on these forums trying to get hints and tips. I like the idea of Roadkill and picking up pennies etc. Only managed to find 1p so far :rotfl: Going to have a Roadkill jar and at the end of the year I'll cash it in and put it towards debt

MB
    My LBM May 2017, DH LBM July 2017- Total Debt (not Including Mortgage) £46444.23 :eek:
  • Mummy_bear
    Lol giving it to you can get it out of his hands!

I do agree with pocket money idea, he needs it, I believe it's done in Japan. My old boss who retired last year used to get pocket money for cakes lol.

Matthew, I will totally sell the Japan thing to him. He's obsessed with all things Japanese .. his weakness and where he spends quite a bit of money is the local Japanese takeaway :rotfl:
  • UncannyScot
    UncannyScot Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I have a "finders" jar which I suppose is the same as a "roadkill" jar...
    Has a nice wee bit in it so far, a mix of notes and coins... I added the tenner I found yesterday too...
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 June 2017 at 5:27PM
    Mummybear- maybe he can get into old Japanese game Final Fantasy? :)
    I actually know a couple of Japan liking guys at work, it's not my thing though.

I wonder which Korea makes the best kpop?

Maybe he can be persuaded to buy a Japanese investing fund, although Japanese equities have been stagnant for about 20 years because Japan keeps bailing out zombie companies that should be allowed to go bust, ie Toshiba
  • Mummy_bear
    Good Morning Diary
    Mummybear- maybe he can get into old Japanese game Final Fantasy? :)

Not his sort of game actually. But he can spend hrs watching anime.

I wonder which Korea makes the best kpop?

All sounds the same to me :doh:
    Maybe he can be persuaded to buy a Japanese investing fund, although Japanese equities have been stagnant for about 20 years because Japan keeps bailing out zombie companies that should be allowed to go bust, ie Toshiba

Wouldn't even know where to being with this. :undecided:
    Something to look at in the future ... maybe

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Since making the decision yesterday to do more surveys on Valued Opinions I'v earned an extra £3.25. Brings my total in that account to £11.35. Undecided whether to cash out on the Love2Shop voucher or wait a little to get the Amazon one. Either way it'll be for Christmas. I think I'm leaning towards Love2Shop more as its an online code and some of the shops listed I can get Cashback on via Topcahsback. Amazon doesn't really feature on the cashback sites.....
    I think I've made my decision :rotfl:

MB
  • Mummy_bear
    Been quiet for a few days.

I get paid tomorrow :j It's felt like a very long month. Set out my budgets and hoping to chip away at the debt.

Since my last update I've listed a few things on Ebay - well only 4 :rotfl: - got a bid on one of them already. I don't expect to make a great deal but it at least kills two birds with one stone- declutters and earns cash. Need to focus on making this a weekly habit.

Also in the process of sorting out my phone contract which will be saving me in the region of £19 a month :j

Called up the mortgage company to see if they have an online account management facility - they don't :(
    So if I want to pay off a little more I have to keep ringing. I guess for the time being though I will just chip away at our other debt.

Continuing with completing surveys and YouGov - that's now at 1775 points

Look forward to tomorrow when I can update my signature and feel like I'm making some progress.
  • Mummy_bear
    Payday is finally here.

I've made the following payments today

£28 to the Hitachi Loan
    £40 off my Next balance
    £20 towards my overdraft
    £34.79 off my Littlewoods balance. This has paid off one of my BNPL purchases which means that I've also knocked £162.26 off on the interest

I have future payments coming out throughout the month such as the Hitachi loan DD and the credit card payments.

I've updated my signature. Decided to include all debt (excluding DH's personal debt at the moment & Mortgage)

I love seeing these figures. It's a huge motivator.

Not had my student loan statement through yet. Looking at all the previous statements they actually come a random times of the year. My last being July 2016. However, I managed to log into the Student Loans Company site and saw that my outstanding as of 31st March 2017 was 3262.42. Based on currently monthly payments I've calculated it should take me around 18-19months to pay off. Hopefully this will be another debt I can overpay when I get the chance.

Sold a few things on Ebay. Sold one thing for 99p. I've worked out that after Ebay charges and Paypal charges I actually make a whopping 27p profit!!!!:exclamati Must think positively. This is 27p I never had before, for an item of clothing that may've been binned or given to charity. Mmmmmm
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure