Halifax to Aqua balance transfer

dazzaofdagenham
dazzaofdagenham Posts: 1,511 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 11 August 2018 at 9:14AM in Credit cards
Anybody had issues transferring a balance onto Halifax from Aqua

Started a transfer on 7th August 2018 onto aqua and it still hasn!!!8217;t arrrived, Halifax staff say I should allow upto 10 working days

I noticed that if I make a bill payment onto the card the amount paid appears almost instant.

So why does a balance transfer take so long

Comments

• Craig1981
    Craig1981 Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    it is when Halifax decide to send the money and complete the transfer to Aqua. has your halifax card arrived and have you activated it yet? this could also be a reason for the delay?
    my credit cards are pretty much the same pay today, in a couple hours it shows as pending on statement.
    allow the 10 days they have requested, or give them a ring to double check they have the details correct for the transfer?
  • Sorry this is transferring the balance on my aqua card to my Halifax card....had the Halifax card for almost 20 years...

I rang them this morning and they said allow 10 working days for the transfer to complete....seems strange when a bill payment from my Halifax current account to my aqua card takes seconds to show.
  • Because a bill payment is different to a balance transfer
  • maxximus75
    maxximus75 Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Aqua are not a clearing bank so it takes quite a few days for balance transfers and payments to go in and out.
  • I understand that....thank you

When a make a bill payment onto the account it shows in seconds..
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Your 'bill payment' is a payment instruction initiated directly by yourself. It does not need to go through security checks, especially if you've made this payment instruction many times and for small amounts.

A 'balance transfer' is also a payment instruction, except this time not a direct one. You tell the telephone staff (or the online system) you want to make a BT, ie a large payment to a credit card account. The telephone staff, or the online system, passes the payment instruction through various levels of security checking, perhaps being pulled for manual analysis occasionally, until it gets to the people/system who can initiate the actual payment instruction.

And then, perhaps they use BACS Direct Credit, or some other post-dated method, meaning another 3 day delay?
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 11 August 2018 at 6:56PM
    I just did a balance transfer [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE]from an Aqua card and it was completed the next working day. That wasn't with Halifax though....
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    I just did a balance transfer to an Aqua card and it was completed the next working day. That wasn't with Halifax though....
    To an Aqua card? Or are you mixing up your from's and to's like the OP has, and what you really mean is you transferred a balance AWAY from an Aqua card?
  • Looks like I just gotta wait until middle of next week until it happens to go through
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    To an Aqua card? Or are you mixing up your from's and to's like the OP has, and what you really mean is you transferred a balance AWAY from an Aqua card?

Lol it is catching. Yes a balance away from the Aqua card. :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family