British Gas is to launch a £100m customer loyalty scheme in April.

footyguy
footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post

The programme will include discounts on energy or Sky entertainment packages.

Energy firms have been under pressure from the government not to punish loyal customers as campaigners have urged consumers to switch to cheaper tariffs.

A spokesman told the BBC the company "strongly denied" offers such as Sky TV would make it harder for customers to compare tariffs.

Read more here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39044789

But £100m divied up amongst circa 10m customers will mean an average reward of about a tenner, I calculate ... so probably a lot less than most people are paying over the odds to BG anyway.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Smoke and mirrors? I just wish that energy suppliers would drop these crazy marketing schemes. I just want energy at the cheapest possible price with no rewards, discounts or cash back - all of which come with an additional cost to the consumer.
  • Hengus wrote: »
    Smoke and mirrors? I just wish that energy suppliers would drop these crazy marketing schemes. I just want energy at the cheapest possible price with no rewards, discounts or cash back - all of which come with an additional cost to the consumer.

Whilst I'm definitely not a fan of the Sky entertainment package idea, rewards / discounts / cash back, can still tip the balance in favour of one supplier over another, for some people?

I still look at the overall package being offered, for instance, whilst the Iresa Flex 4 tariff is comparable to the tariff I'm already on, it's still more expensive. Whilst it's undoubtedly the cheapest tariff on the market at the moment, factor in Paperless billing discounts, Dual fuel discounts, availability of the WHDS, Energy funds, Smart meter system, Priority Services register, excellent customer service, professionalism and reputation of an energy company, are still important, to me.

If they all still give me the cheapest price overall, it's a win win, situation.
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • Former_MSE_Faye
    Former_MSE_Faye Posts: 147 Forumite
    edited 22 February 2017 at 3:25PM
    The longest-standing customers will be offered discounts on their energy - though it's not clear who will qualify...
    Read the full story:
    'British Gas to offer customer loyalty scheme'
    OfficialStamp.gif
    Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    See the latest news from MoneySavingExpertNews
    Follow the MSE on Twitter: @MoneySavingExp
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
  • 10Wbulb
    10Wbulb Posts: 22 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Anyone know what the Rewards discount is for long term customers, I'm not interested in any other of their rewards.

I don't want to join just to find that it's not worth bothering with because, I have read that to join you have to have paperless billing, and at the moment I don't want that.
  • Skools_Out
    Skools_Out Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    10Wbulb wrote: »
    Anyone know what the Rewards discount is for long term customers, I'm not interested in any other of their rewards.

I don't want to join just to find that it's not worth bothering with because, I have read that to join you have to have paperless billing, and at the moment I don't want that.

Can I ask before opting to bump this 18 month old thread with your user id that you have not used for 2 years, if you read the article linked to???

It's just that the article specififies examples of rewards that were to be offered :cool:

I see you've immediately left again after this posting ...:cool::cool::cool:
  • 10Wbulb
    edited 10 August 2018 at 5:50PM
    Skools_Out, I did read the article, that's how I found this thread, ie I read the article first, and that led me to this thread.

Consequently., I try to ask the question again, does anyone know the value of the "loyalty deal" discount for long term customers?
  • Skools_Out
    Skools_Out Posts: 258 Forumite
    10Wbulb wrote: »
    Skools_Out, I did read the article, that's how I found this thread, ie I read the article first, and that led me to this thread.

Consequently., I try to ask the question again, does anyone know the value of the of the Rewards discount for long term customers?

Yes, it's detailed in the reports linked to.
  • 10Wbulb
    Sorry but I cannot see any links!
  • Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 2,426 Forumite
    The value of rewards will vary on what the uptake is for each. Over a few month s I saved about £130. This included free electricity, free hive and light bulbs and Free sky films. They also have 2 for 1 meals and discounts on shopping and insurance so it really depends on what you want from the offers, how much you save. Unfortunately the 2 for 1 meals seem to miss out Edinburgh so I am not happy about that.
    Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs
  • 10Wbulb
    edited 11 August 2018 at 2:04PM
    Thanks Joyful, but I'm not interested in the extras, can you please tell me how much I will get off my bill if I join Rewards, I only receive gas from British Gas and have been with them about 25 years.

I cannot find my summary but the annual bill will probably approach £15,000 now. EDIT £1500.

2 nd edit

Just found last year's summary and it was 26,000 kWh. and the estimated cost was £1,100.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure