Letter from CST Law

I've just opened a letter from CST Law dated 30/12/19. It is regarding money I allegedly owe to Centrica/British Gas.

I was an employee of BG up to January 2018 and they say that they overpaid me, something I contested when I was employed by them. Since I left I have had no correspondence from British Gas or Centrica and now this letter has arrived on my doorstep.

In the letter they have given me 7 days to contact them which we are obviously well past. As this isn't a fine or an unpaid bill but a matter between employee and employer, should I write to CST Law informing them that this is the first I have heard of this in the two years that I have left or should I just go down the route of asking them to provide all paperwork?

Comments

• nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    QuentinXX wrote: »
    I've just opened a letter from CST Law dated 30/12/19. It is regarding money I allegedly owe to Centrica/British Gas.

I was an employee of BG up to January 2018 and they say that they overpaid me, something I contested when I was employed by them. Since I left I have had no correspondence from British Gas or Centrica and now this letter has arrived on my doorstep.

In the letter they have given me 7 days to contact them which we are obviously well past. As this isn't a fine or an unpaid bill but a matter between employee and employer, should I write to CST Law informing them that this is the first I have heard of this in the two years that I have left or should I just go down the route of asking them to provide all paperwork?

Clearly it isn't the first you've heard of it.

They have 6 years to pursue the debt (assuming you're in England or Wales). You can continue to dispute it but they clearly believe they are right if they've engaged lawyers to chase you. Only you can say whether they don't have a case/ whether its worth challenging/ paying it back.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • Thank you nicechap. I clearly said it is the first I've heard of it in the two years since I left. I had obviously heard of it when I worked there.

I was asking the first step I should pursue legally.
  • nicechap
    Thank you nicechap. I clearly said it is the first I've heard of it in the two years since I left. I had obviously heard of it when I worked there.

I was asking the first step I should pursue legally.

If you want legal advice you need to ask a lawyer. You could try CAB (separate forum here or in many towns).

There's no harm asking for proof but it doesn't change the choices you face, only the timeframe.
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • Ah well.....I came here for help. Seems there's none going, just what I knew already. Happy for someone to close this. Toodles.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Ah well.....I came here for help. Seems there's none going, just what I knew already. Happy for someone to close this. Toodles.

You have been given advice.

What advice would you like ?

I take it you have proof to back up your claim ?

Maybe try a SAR.
  • QuentinXX wrote: »
    Ah well.....I came here for help. Seems there's none going, just what I knew already. Happy for someone to close this. Toodles.
    Gosh - you don't get the answer you want in an hour so you get objectionable and p**s off? Is that why your former employer has left this to someone else to chase?

CST Law are not lawyers, they are a debt recovery company. The extent to which they can (currently) pursue this debt depends on all the information that you haven't bothered to provide. Which is why you were asked for that information. You clearly know what the letter refers to, and you know whether or not you actually owe the money. What your next steps are depends on those answers.
  • Your asking for legal advice, we are not lawyers.
  • nicechap
    There are some lawyers who contribute on here and elsewhere on MSE. The problem is, anyone and everyone can post on here whether legally qualified or not so any posts need to be taken on their merit as there will be no comeback on MSE if someone follows incorrect advice.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,453 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    If debt collectors have been instructed does that automatically mean that a CCJ or similar is in place? Or could the previous employer simply have sold the debt?
  • TELLIT01 wrote: »
    If debt collectors have been instructed does that automatically mean that a CCJ or similar is in place? Or could the previous employer simply have sold the debt?
    It could mean either of those things. And what they might or might not be able to do about the alleged debt can also depend on whether it exists and what it is for. The fact the OP said they didn’t get overpaid at the time is irrelevant to anything, since it proves nothing. But apparently the OP doesn’t believe in seeing things through, then or now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure