Massive bill! Advice needed!

Hi,

I have just called Thames Water to give a meter reading, this is our first one as we moved into the property on 04/08/2018 (renting). I was told the last reading was done in January 2018.

To my shock, I was told the reading suggests a bill of £700! Thames Water have said I need to call back in 10 days and give another reading and they will calculate an average usage from that or something. We are a family of 2 adults and 2 toddlers.

I have just called my landlord to ask if they can send someone out to check the toilets etc for leaks, I am not aware of any.

Is it likely I am going to end up having to pay this bill? For all they know (and me too) that water could have even been used before we move in and now I am concerned we may need to pay £700 for this. In our previous house (also Thames Water) we used to use £26 per month and had no issues for over 3 years.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,055
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Forget your previous property.

What was the reading when you moved in ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,586
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    AS Robin suggests, did you read the meter when you moved in and set up an account with the water company.

If not then there's a fair chance that you are paying for the previous tenants water.

Do as the water company requests and read your meter weekly for several weeks to establish how much you are using and hopefully they'll amend your bill.

Don't let someone else read the meters (Gas water or leccy) for you, do it yourself and check your bills and statements to make sure that actual readings are being used and not estimates. You should get any estimated bills corrected by phoning through the actual meter readings

They are your meters, take charge of them and make sure you know what is going on.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport