PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Brassic, thought are with you and family.

I spent 3.64 on bread and milk and £9.87 yesterday at Lidl - most of this could have waited until saturday weekly shop BUT read about tuna wedge melt in someones meal plan on mse, and had it down for yesterday and really wanted it - but had no potatoes and no cheese!!! Was totally delisha and a really easy meal which kids and DH loved so perfect weekday dinner!

Will have to do grocery shopping tomorrow as Im away on sunday for a week so will leave enough for DH to not moan!
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Brassic,

Thinking of you and your family at this sad time.

I would not be counting the hospital meal in my budget.It would come under unexpected expense.
    Slimming World at target
  • 98jdougl
    98jdougl Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    Hoping for just £2.71 today for OH's beer (was only £2.44 6 weeks ago!!!) - find if I buy in the crates or a few 8 packs to last then they all get drunk in one day (he has had a full blown alcohol issue in the past so requires careful monitoring, we have got it down to 8 stubbies a day... am hoping for less but don't want to push it too far all at once!) so I find that picking them up every day is the way that it has to be done.
    I have also ordered one of those quit kits with the aim of giving up, or at least hugely cutting back, on smoking. Not sure how successful it will be though as I love smoking, just not the expense of it hehe.

Had gammon joints cooking in pineapple juice overnight in the SC so that's been turned off now but don't think I'll be getting too much done today,should be getting ready for work now but been up all night with a rather moody stomach, so day on the couch is in order I think!
    Hoping to hit MrM's tonight - never tend to go there - miles wise it's about the same distance as Tesco but the layout means it takes about 3 times as long to walk there! but everyone seems to get good yellow stickers from there and MrT's is crap at them - only do like 20p off :(
  • Hi all, just a quick update spent £33.04 at T***o last night, no real bargins in the reduced sections, just a bulking up on the toilet rolls (thanks lemmings) and washing powder (sorry can`t remember who posted the deal with per*il), and a few bits and bobs, so will update in a mo.
    Grocery Challenge 2013: July week 1 £90/£87.41 :D
    week 2 £90.00/£118.38:eek: week 3 £90/£60.54:jweek4 £90/£79.90 week5 £45/£00
    End of mortgage april 2030
    Mortgage overpayment from june 2013 aiming for £400 a month: £451
    Emergency fund 2013 from june £70
  • ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 6 January 2012 at 7:46AM
    £18 spend last night in Co-op on reduced chicken and bacon. 8 packs of bacon for £1 each and 4 packs of chicken breasts for £2.50 each (there was loads there, I left plenty). Hubby was happy with bacon for breakfast!
    Then went to Waitrose and got a few more reduced bits, including a 'Heston' Chocolate, passion fruit and popping candy torte for £1.99 (was £8.49!) than has gone in the freezer for next time we have guests for dinner. I also bought two packs of mini savoury blinis for 15p each, just because I wanted to see what was so great about a few hundred grammes of cooked batter that would have cost £2.49 a pack! Turns out... nothing! They are rubbish, no idea what to do with them... ooops!

So total spend of £23.45 yesterday.

Off to Morrisons today with my £5 off voucher, would love to win my shopping but I don't plan on spending more than the £40...
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    morning all
    Brassic park thinking of you and sending hugs and strong thought your way at this incredibly difficult time.

made a little bit of butter last night for the first time to use up some cream that would otherwise have been wasted its turned out ok
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • Meadows
    Meadows Posts: 4,530
    Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit! Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    I like the idea of making a list of the food in the freezer.

Ooops that sounds like me, it comes out but never room to go back again :)
    I have two freezers a 6' tall one in the utility room and a smaller one in the garage. I start off well with lists but then too many crossings out and needs to be re done, then I never keep up the adding of the new stuff.
    I know it's there but can I find it when I want to :think: I did try to organise by draw but you know what its like when you have no space for that must have bargain :D
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
  • Meadows
    Meadows Posts: 4,530
    Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit! Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    meg72 wrote: »
    Thats the recipe I use for Chilli, but without the hot chocolate, Ihave never heard of this being added before, does it make much difference?

I have never noticed the difference to be honest, they say Chilli Con Carne with chocolate adds a lovely rich flavour to the dish?
    It should be dark chocolate and 4 - 5 squares for a 500g of meat chilli.
    Chocolate aside however, if you cook, cool, then refrigerate overnight then re heat the flavour is better (same with curry as it allows all the flavours of the dish to get into the meat and sauce).
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
  • Morning All,

Brassic, all my thoughts are with you at this difficult time.

My planned NSD for yesterday has fallen flat on its face. We ordered a bed back in September from Nightmare Beds, however it only got delivered a week before Xmas, we went to build it to find it was in different colours and not all the same bed, so had to get another delivery. Finally managed to build the bed, but the draws to go underneath were all snapped in half (like the box had been trodden on) I was unable to take a third day off to take delivery off the new draws so they nicely delivered them to store.... which happens to be next to a MrS, last night I went to pick up the storage draws and thought it was rude not to pop into MrS. Everyone had said what a good offer the washing powder was, and since 72 washes lasts me an OH about 6 months I figured I would stop in past. Picked up a few bits (and a huge amount of dark choc as thats all I can eat and Mr A dont do a good selection) but as I never go to MrS I had no idea I had £15 in points to use. So shopping came to £12.52. Had a look at yellow stickers but nothing there I thought was great value so just got the food I had planned to buy on Saturday.

Just realised I have forgotten to take the bag of turkey and the pot of stock out the freezer for risotto tonight so will have to swap some meals about and have a go at making fish cakes instead. Can someone tell me if these will freeze ok as I can see me making more than we will eat in one meal?

Sorry for long thread.

E x
    Jan GC £242.38/£250
    Feb GC £147.57 /£240
    2012 Clothes Challenge £97.50/£500
    Repay £5K in 2012 £254.17/£5000
    2012 NSD 14/200 (Jan 14)
  • Brassic - lots of hugs

I've totalled this weeks spend as £21.07 out of £25 budget. I've hardly made a dent in the freezer or cupboards so £25 a week on milk and fruit and veg is definitely within the realms of possibility this month (thank goodness - I'm on the bones of my bum like so many others :()

Thanks to all who post for helping me stay on the straight and narrow as always

p_grrl x
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills