Getting 3D parts printed

2»

Comments

• buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've asked on MSE before about something very similar. Those plastic inserts inside your double glazing window frames - one broke and I thought it'd be an easy matter to take one from another window, pop into a local 3D printing shop and have a copy run off. Like you could go to a Xerox branch in the 80s and make nice colour copies from anything printed. No such thing. The 3D industry at the moment is around printing from perfectly prepared CAD files. Scanning items for 'reprinting' seems to be in its infancy.
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    AnotherJoe, Sorry, but I cant visualise this " L shaped bracket to a wall, the bottom bit of the L being uppermost, and I want to conceal the two screw heads."

Would this help?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/E4Emporium-Floating-Shelves-colours-Available/dp/B01H4NMVKW/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=bracketless+shelves&qid=1563022172&s=gateway&sr=8-5

buglawton, the car dealer Mike Brewer has a show in the usa where they rebuild cars. One sunroof needed plastic clips. they took the clips to a 3d printing place whom scanned the part using a hand held 7 head laser scanner and used the scanned dimensions for their cad drawing, took out the mis-shaped breakage and cracks, then made it solid, before printing. Think it all cost circa $150
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you have a part its faster to recreate the part compared to scanning it where the resolution may not be good enough.

Scanning items can still be tricky especially if its got shiny surfaces or awkward angles.

There have been places that can recreate 3D objects but they need to be careful of any copyright / trademark / patent issues.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If its to cover the holes

https://sugru.com/

mouldable glue, put it on mould it and let it set.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If MRI scanners weren't so expensive you'd be able to place a part underwater and get a perfect 3D scan. At least I assume that'd work for copying plastic parts.
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Thingiverse has loads of files that you can download and use. Someone may already have made a similar thing and have put it up there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure