Christmas present conundrum!

2»

Comments

• *Louise*
    *Louise* Posts: 9,197 Forumite
    Mojisola wrote: »

Perhaps he could accept sending their children £10 this year - making one change would make it easier to make another reduction next year.

This would be my first step too. No one can complain about that.
    Cross Stitch Cafe member No. 3
    2012 170-194 2013 195-207.Hello Kitty ballerina 208.AVA 209.OLIVIA 210.ELLA 211.CARLA 212.LOUISE 213.CHARLEY 214.Mother & Child 215.Stop Faffing Completed 2014 216.Stitchers Sampler. 217.Let Them Be Small 218.Keep Calm 219. Ups and downs 220. Annniversary piece 221. 2x Teachers gifts 222. Peacock 223. Tooth Fairy 224. Beth Birth pic 225. Circe the Sorceress Cards x 24
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Cor with ten kids, it is surprising the family can afford presents for their own kids, never mind other peoples

If the only reason you to stop is because you feel unfairly done by, then that is just giving to receive. Christmas is about Kids and that would be punishing them, because their parents cannot afford to do the same as you OP

Id stop the financial transaction feeling, and buy them all gifts and toys - but you are completely free to chose to spend less, £10 per child can get some nice toys
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • I'm wondering if these 10 kids don't get much at all and your husband knows this which is why he wants to continue. Having said that I wouldn't keep doing it especially as its not appreciated enough for a thankyou card . I also wouldn't be bothered about upsetting the applecart for people I never / rarely saw tbh.

There is too much inequality there, £200 v £20.

Just let them know early next year that you wont be doing this next year and if you don't want to say it outright make up an excuse eg that times are harder / lost job/ need new car etc etc

A family gift is the way to go IMO.

Look at it this way if these 10 kids are under 10 and you do this until adulthood that is thousands of pounds .
  • 10 kids?

I'd buy them a pack of condoms....

In all seriousness, a family game and maybe a bottle of wine for the grown-ups is probably a better solution.
  • I hope you found something that suits everyone. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure