PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• nessie216
    nessie216 Posts: 839 Forumite
    BrownGun86 wrote: »
    Thanks for your advice. Think I will give wraps a go this week and see how I get on. Any ideas for un-soggy (:p) fillings that would be ok on the wrap for a day or two? I like the soup idea too, as I've got a slow-cooker so could possibly make a week's batch at the weekend. Will invest in a thermos when I next go shopping I think.

Ham and cheese would work & you could take some sachets/bottle of mayo/salad cream to moisten it up at work?

I used to do DH wraps for the whole week using ham, cheese and mayo - though he didn't mind them soggy!

Best thing if you looking for 'healthier' lunches is to make a batch of pasta with some tomato sauce with lots of veg on Sunday - enough for the week & keep in fridge - thats if you don't mind eating it cold (could always warm up in micro - if one is available)

Worse comes to worse - get your OH to prepare it for you???

I take a whole variety of lunches to work, today i had a 'stew' of cannelini beans, chicken, bacon, chopped toms, bacon, mushrooms, peppers, cauli & broc - i eat it cold mind you!
  • Kitchenbunny
    Kitchenbunny Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Adding my first spend for March (day one, thought I could do better than that) but had to change plans as we've got guests coming over for food tonight and I had no idea. So, shopping a day earlier, but hopefully that means tomorrow will be an NSD. At any rate, I spent £33.40. I'll update my signature.

That means my mealplan has changed, but I'll be doing the jambalaya so hopefully it won't be too much extra effort. I was looking forward to a sit down!

Keep up the good work, everyone.

KB xx
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So today is the 3/4 shop for us (we run 15th-14th of next month), managed to get some different things to have for dinner but still sensible!
    Went mainly to Tesco, and then popped into Lidl but only got some plums, kiwis and treats (from separate budget) such as chocolate for the end of a hard day looking after DS lol! Roast chicken for tea but having with salad and chips, then tomorrow and next day will be some of the chicken used for stirfry and for a caul/brocc pasta bake.......DH will have a drumstick for work too ;).
    Hope all are well and happy new GC month!
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• slbhill
    slbhill Posts: 5,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I just declared my total on the February thread and posted March's target, then realised I should have posted that here - sorry :o. So, as I said "last month" LOL could slbhill be put down for £150 again please. And of course a big thank you to all the people who put in the effort to keep this thread so running, I never guessed how useful it would be :T :A

I might be starting to get the hang of this (famous last words?), and making some interesting discoveries about things we eat which are cheap or expensive - often not the ones I thought!
  • sazzledazzle
    sazzledazzle Posts: 407 Forumite
    Well went and did a shop in Mr T today and before money off vouchers bill came to £22.12 with a multibuy saving of £2.03. Had a £4 off a £20 spend and a Mr S £2 off £20 spend which they took both off so total bill down to £16.12, which is a saving of £8.03 :j
    finding things much easier now a days by doing a food plan and so not tempting to buy things we dont need. Enough food now for this week and most of next.
    MAY NSD's

• Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    Welcome to all the newbies joining I hope you do well and can make some substanial savings. Wonder if Mr. Te$co ever reads this thread if so he must be runing scared lately and weeping into his wallet what with so many of us on the money saving wagon. :rotfl:

Happy St. Davids day to everyone by the way - Dydd Gwŷl Dewi Sant hapus !
    Oh dear I DO hope thats right. Blame the t'internet if it isnt.

Have just made a saucepan full of leek, potato and swede soup. Added the swede mainly because it needed using up and trying very hard not to waste anything. Just had a small sample and it is delicious and much needed as been out most of day and its freezing here today. Dry but bitterly cold again.

Have got home made pork burgers for tea tonight and will have them with a few chips. We were going to have pancakes after as I thought it was pancake day today but then realised its next week. :rotfl: Oh well there's no law to say we cant have them two weeks in a row. Will count today as a practice day then. :D

Best of luck to everyone.
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • mandco
    mandco Posts: 1,012 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    thanks to everyone who keep this tread going
    could you put me down for £225 for march please

was mia last month so really need to get back on track.
    Today is a NSD but gonna have to go shopping tommorrow as the fridge/cupboards are bare :eek:

goodluck everyone with this month challenge
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Pork Pastie recipe is in the index (post 4 temporarily), thanks cutiepieabf ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • M0neysav3r
    M0neysav3r Posts: 237 Forumite
    Very impressed with this weeks shopping total - £39.33 and that includes 3 bottles of wine :D

I've a question for those who make their own bread - I got a morphy richards bread maker from freecycle which didn't come with instructions but on the oven tells you which buttons to push etc anyway, i followed the recipe on the yeast packet last week and the bread tasted awful and came out only 5cm high :o But the yeast was a year out of date so put it down to that. I've now just added bread flour 500g, butter 25g, salt, sugar, yeast and warm water - again the recipe on the yeast packet, the bread maker is making some noises and appears to be working but I'm wondering if i'm doing something wrong? When I used to make my own rolls (a few years ago) I used my conventional oven and it took hours to leave them to rise and divide them up how comes the bread maker can do it all in less than 3 hours?
    :j No Debts (Other than HUGE mortgage! :eek: )
    Generally trying to cut back where possible :j
    GC - March £143.82 / £200 Feb £156.03 / £150 Oops! Jan £180.78/£200:D
  • JayJay14
    JayJay14 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    M0neysav3r wrote: »
    Very impressed with this weeks shopping total - £39.33 and that includes 3 bottles of wine :D

I've a question for those who make their own bread - I got a morphy richards bread maker from freecycle which didn't come with instructions but on the oven tells you which buttons to push etc anyway, i followed the recipe on the yeast packet last week and the bread tasted awful and came out only 5cm high :o But the yeast was a year out of date so put it down to that. I've now just added bread flour 500g, butter 25g, salt, sugar, yeast and warm water - again the recipe on the yeast packet, the bread maker is making some noises and appears to be working but I'm wondering if i'm doing something wrong? When I used to make my own rolls (a few years ago) I used my conventional oven and it took hours to leave them to rise and divide them up how comes the bread maker can do it all in less than 3 hours?

Breadmakers usually say put the liquid at the bottom, with salt and sugar and butter/oil, then flour on top of that with the yeast on the top. Old yeast is not really recomended.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure