FRUGAL LIVING CHALLENGE 2010, part 2, April - June.

Comments

• top_drawer_2
    top_drawer_2 Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    top_drawer,

I make a note of the items I buy without a receipt.

What's the powder? I guess some kind of spice Asian stores are good for these.

I actually keep all my receipts too, shopping and anything which can go wrong particularly. It was Spiced Wedges powder although I did another batch with Cajun powder which was meant to be used on meat and they were spicer but just as lovely! I do have paprika, cumin etc as I lurveee curry.
  • ooops I was editing that post for ages and thought I'd double posted when I saw you'd quoted. :)

Do you use veg oil with the potato wedges?
  • NualaBuala
    NualaBuala Posts: 2,507 Forumite
    Hi to all the frugallers including those just reading the posts :wave:

Thanks for our shiny new thread frugaldom. Hope your eggs survive.

top_drawer wrote: »
    hello,
    Happy Belated Birthday wishes Nuala!!!

Well Ive been away for a few days and am glad to be back .... New month and new start hopefully as looking at my money book I have done terrible - not sure how when I am so careful ..... feel like im living like a pauper but paying out like a king!
    Thanks Jen! Bet you haven't done as badly as you think. Imagine if you weren't keeping track, you probably would have spent even more. I'm sure as time goes on we're all learning to do better. I just use a spreadsheet for my accounts but I don't itemise individual grocery items. I do record junk food spends separately as that's my downfall - I was so embarrassed by how much I spent and hopefully that'll motivate me to do better. Your potato wedges sound yum. I tend to just use paprika on mine - I'm too stingy to buy anything fancier. :D
    I feel very down having gone £309.69 over my first quarter's budget of £1500. I'm really, really struggling as DH has been off sick for two years and I was made redundant in September.

There's just too much month for my money!:eek:
    Aw, hugs to you, it must be so hard trying to manage. But you should be proud of what you've achieved - £309.69 is not too bad and you might even recoup it over the rest of the year. There are plenty of people who overspend by more than that every month. :eek: Will have my fingers crossed for you.

Hope everyone else is frugalling away nice. I had my first spend of the month - an expensive food shop of €43 in the food co-op. The price of organic veg and cheese is crazy but I'm trying to stick with it for a few months as an experiment. So far I don't seem to be spending more on food per month but that's cos I've cut out buying other things (mainly processed stuff so that's good). March seemed like a very long month so I'm hopeful that this month won't be so bad. Although once my direct debits go out I'll be feeling broke again!

Hugs to all who want them. Nightie night.
    Trying to spend less time on MSE so I can get more done ... it's not going great so far! :)
    Sorry if I don't reply to posts - I'm having MAJOR trouble keeping up these days!

Frugal Living Challenge 2011

Sealed Pot #671 :A DFW Nerd #1185
  • jtb2412
    jtb2412 Posts: 1,782 Forumite
    Morning all, off to mum's shortly so won't be around much this weekend. I hope you all have a lovely Easter and the weather is kind to you xx

Potato wedges ..... I do mine (home-made) in a bit of veg oil, paprika, mixed herbs and breadcrumbs ..... very yummy! It's a good way to use up the crusts of a loaf if they're not used elsewhere :money:.

I saw a great tip on Heston Bloomineck's tv show last night. If you haven't got cooking beans, line your pastry with baking paper and pour 2ps and 1ps on top - it gives it an even cook too :money:
    :jWeight loss to date 1st 11.5lb :j
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    MOrning all

OK, well here starts the frugal upshift, I have "eased in" for the first part of the year but I know that there are lots of wants I've bought instead of needs.

Yesterday I had a huge haul of RTC meat at Mr W- spent 25 in total, the freezer door will just about close. Lots of sausages/chicken/brisket/mince/sausages. I havent totalled up the "full price" amount but I guess that doesnt apply to me much as I simply would never of bought some of these things at this full price as it was too expensive.

Off up to the family today so most costs covered. We want to ahve a low key meander not rushing about ( usually it is manic) and to really slow down as we both need to rest a lot.

I have the draw to go to this amazing market up there where the clothes are fantastic ( eg loads of M&S/Monsoon) stuff for a few quid or less. I also want to have a look in cheshire oaks at the walking boots but I get the feeling it will [probably be packed and not conducive to 5relaxing so I think will resist this. ( managed to talk myself out of spending already lol)

Have got a pile of magazines Ill be recycling to mum to take as well.

One thing I mist get better at this 1/4 is to ensure i have my mobile with me as this is my spending diary as well as phone, and I fear that I have missed out a few "little spends".

Oh well, I think Im on the right lines whatever.

TOP DRAWER- you must pre-cook potatoes if you want to freeze them otherwise they go black and slimy. Urgh they are foul. If you look on the OS resource there is a massive thread where people have made thier recipes for the powder.

personally I use whatever is to hand- veg oil mixed with any combo of paprika/ chicken all purpose/ jerk/ chili powder/ cumin etc.

Hope everyone has a lovely easter xx
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    lynzpower wrote: »
    Yesterday I had a huge haul of RTC meat at Mr W- spent 25 in total, the freezer door will just about close. Lots of sausages/chicken/brisket/mince/sausages.
    Well done on the haul :T
    I havent totalled up the "full price" amount but I guess that doesnt apply to me much as I simply would never of bought some of these things at this full price as it was too expensive.
    Most of what I get on RTC isn't stuff I'd buy at full price either - I'd either not buy it at all (cakes, cream etc) or would buy much cheaper options (or less of them, particularly the sausage rolls and mini scotch eggs that DS enjoys). I record the full value out of interest, but as I would have bought these items at full price before home life changed (and my job went) I guess that makes it slightly more relevant to me.

I'm actually looking at tweaking my personal copy of the s/sheet for next year, such that I can record both the full price and what I would have paid for a cheaper alternative. As I wouldn't otherwise have bought some of the items at all, this will hopefully mean I end up seeing whether what I saved on buying (for example) dearer cuts of meat on RTC (making them cheaper than my cheap cuts at full price) has paid for my 'pure indulgence' items (such as cakes and cream).
    Cheryl
  • Skint_Lynne
    Skint_Lynne Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Morning all,

My first post on the new thread!:j I have been up since 6.10am, I had a call from DH, so all is well, he has a squaddie tan, which is the face and forearms, and the wee bit at the top of his shirt. :D

He had his customary moan, so I know that he is absoloutely fine!:rotfl: I was hoping to get back to sleep, but I am now wide awake. Will have a bath soon and have breakfast. I am going to see MIL today, and then DH's auntie. She is getting a loan of his laptop whilst he is away, I have to get him a couple of bits for sending like razors etc, and I'll get these away on Tuesday. I'm going to Ayr tomorrow I think, and then Sunday and Monday will be reserved for cleaning, planting catching up on paperwork etc.

Have a lovely Good Friday. xx
  • chika
    chika Posts: 848 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    lynzpower wrote: »
    I have the draw to go to this amazing market up there where the clothes are fantastic ( eg loads of M&S/Monsoon) stuff for a few quid or less. I also want to have a look in cheshire oaks at the walking boots but I get the feeling it will [probably be packed and not conducive to 5relaxing so I think will resist this. ( managed to talk myself out of spending already lol)

Lynzpower - where is this amazing sounding market you speak of??? I only thought they had things like this in London. Judging by the Cheshire Oaks reference I hope it's somewhere up North? I managed to boil all my fave clothes in the washing machine and most are ruined beyond repair. A few bargains might help to soothe the pain!
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, only a few will catch your heart. Pursue those.
  • gilligansyle
    gilligansyle Posts: 4,124 Forumite
    chika wrote: »
    Lynzpower - where is this amazing sounding market you speak of??? I only thought they had things like this in London. Judging by the Cheshire Oaks reference I hope it's somewhere up North? I managed to boil all my fave clothes in the washing machine and most are ruined beyond repair. A few bargains might help to soothe the pain!

I was going to ask the same thing, as Cheshire Oaks is Ellesmere Port way. Haven't been there for ages as not really into designer stuff even if it is cheaper, and tend to buy clothes in Mr A and Mr T.

Lost track of the budget completely last month due to starting work so things like travel pass weren't accounted for. Will spend the nice long weekend juggling the figures. Will be paying a few debts off in April so very pleased, should have them all clear by the end of the year, depending on the work situation.

Gardeners - have got peppers, tomatoes, cucumber and lettuce on the window ledge, if I put them in the little plastic greenhouse thingy is it OK to put them out yet?
    Debts at LBM - Mortgages £128497 - non mortgage £27497 Debt now £[STRIKE]114150[/STRIKE][STRIKE]109032[/STRIKE] 64300 (mortgage) Credit cards left 0

"The days pass so fast, let's try to make each one better than the last"
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    chika wrote: »

Its in Liverpool. I'm not 100% sure as parents are from near Manchester Airport, but its so so good.

For food you cant beat Bury market it really is super ( or was last time I went)
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills