PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Comments

• cuddles123
    cuddles123 Posts: 1,381 Forumite
    Orkney - love the hat, and thank you for your kind comment.
    NannyJanny - hope you get all the tax stuff sorted out soon, and the result that you want.
    I have the opposite. Had a letter last Thursday saying that I was due a rebate and that a cheque had been sent. Still hasn't arrived.

I am knitting a bag to felt at the moment. Wanted to try a big item on circulars, and also try felting, so we'll see.
    The pattern I wanted to do said to start with 8 stitches on DPNs and knit in the round. I tried, but just couldn't do it, so used a different pattern. This one starts with a rectangle knitted on a circular, then picks up the stitches around the edge.

Will be interesting to see what size it ends up after felting!
    :oJack of all trades ... Master of none :o
  • berrybug
    berrybug Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    orkneystar your hat is lovely you are a very telented young lady did your mother/grandmother teach you these skills or are you self taught ?
    i was taught by my mother who was a wonderfull knitter won many prizes in womans rural competitions ,never been as good as she was but i did try many things when my kids were small .taking things slower now fingers a bit stiff and eyes not so sharp but i am enjoying getting back into knitting for my wee grandson
    I pray for patience as strength might just get me in trouble !!!!
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    berrybug wrote: »
    orkneystar your hat is lovely you are a very telented young lady did your mother/grandmother teach you these skills or are you self taught ?
    i was taught by my mother who was a wonderfull knitter won many prizes in womans rural competitions ,never been as good as she was but i did try many things when my kids were small .taking things slower now fingers a bit stiff and eyes not so sharp but i am enjoying getting back into knitting for my wee grandson

Thank you :o.
    My mum taught me the basics when I was quite young (and I think we learned a little knitting at school, basically knit stitch), but I learned to read patterns properly when I started to knit a lot for my niece and nephew, when I was in my early twenties. I have knitted on and off since, getting really back into it more recently, and teaching myself crochet. I consider myself always a learner though as there is so much to learn in knitting and crochet, and always a challenge!
    I love how we all encourage each other in this thread.....but I wonder if I post too many pictures (:cool::o:cool:) ? I do love seeing other people's work so I hope no-one minds seeing mine!

Hope all are well and enjoying knitting!

x
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    Orkney Star.....I love seeing the lovely stuff you produce, can't speak for anybody else.

Spent €32 on wool in Aldi to-day....just to add to the stash, although bought some that I may use for a jacket for me, all my knitting seems to have been for someone else over past year, have almost finished DD3's jacket....she says I have to knit something for bf as well....not sure what but then I am not doing anything for anybody else!

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • NannyJanny
    NannyJanny Posts: 173 Forumite
    I love seeing everyone's photos! I am working on a little hooded cardie at the moment which is looking a bit boxy (from leftovers). It's 100% acrylic, so I may have to steam block it to get it to drape, or GD2 will look like a robot.

We have a "sell all" kind of shop which sells King Cole, so I have to confess to a couple of balls of Splash for jacket for GD1, and two 250gm balls of cream arran, probably for one of the GD's. £10.98 spent. Also bought this pattern in town http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sampler-cardigan-with-flower-details as it looks ideal for using up the bits in the Big Cupboard!

I am also supposed to be knitting something for myself next.......soon........someday....?

NJ
  • OrkneyStar
    edited 25 March 2011 at 10:20AM
    NannyJanny wrote: »
    Also bought this pattern in town http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sampler-cardigan-with-flower-details as it looks ideal for using up the bits in the Big Cupboard!
    NJ
    I made this for my niece a few years back (wow actually about 1999 ish, as she was about 3), in blue, pink and white....here it is (sorry not great quality but was photographing niece as a whole not just cardi!):
    PIC_9663_medium.JPG
    It is really fun to knit, I hope you enjoy doing it!
    Made this last night while DH out at a school disco (poor man had to work on his birthday all day and then again at night!).
    PIC_9642_medium.JPG
    Just really a scrap/stash building exercise....maybe used about 20g yarn at most.
    Reminds me of the cup cosies just bigger, link for pattern on the ravelry page.

• NannyJanny
    NannyJanny Posts: 173 Forumite
    Lovely little cardie Orkney Star. It'll probably take me a day to choose colours from my bits and bobs. I see somebody that has knitted it (in projects) recommended knitting the border as you go along, adding the border stitches on to the needle for the fronts. Have you ever tried this? I would be a bit worried about the border being too loose. Although it is in garter stitch. I don't mind picking up stitches, but borders knitted separately and then sewn on are not my favourite to do!

NJ
  • berrybug
    berrybug Posts: 54 Forumite
    orkneystar yes please keep posting pictures of your work its great to see all you do love the little cardie great way to use up oddments the head band is nice too .I hope to post a picture soon need to wait till young lad who is helping me with computer finishes studying for his exams think they are more important just now
    I pray for patience as strength might just get me in trouble !!!!
  • cuddles123
    cuddles123 Posts: 1,381 Forumite
    Yes please Orkney, I love to see all your pics because all the things you make are so beautiful.

I love the way you understand the mechanics of knitting and can adapt patterns.
    Think I'll try a headband like yours as I've never done cables on a circular needle. No idea what I'll do with it as it would look hideoes on me, but it will be good practice!

My bag is nearly finished and ready to felt. Will be interesing as I've never done it before.
    :oJack of all trades ... Master of none :o
  • OrkneyStar
    edited 25 March 2011 at 1:02PM
    cuddles123 wrote: »
    Yes please Orkney, I love to see all your pics because all the things you make are so beautiful.

I love the way you understand the mechanics of knitting and can adapt patterns.
    Think I'll try a headband like yours as I've never done cables on a circular needle. No idea what I'll do with it as it would look hideoes on me, but it will be good practice!

My bag is nearly finished and ready to felt. Will be interesing as I've never done it before.

Yay try a headband....the thing is this one is not even real cabling with a cable needle....instead you knit 2 but don't slip off left-hand needle and then knit into the stitch nearest the tip again, sliding all off together. I hope to make more later (after I recover from DS nursery craft session- all the kids and all the parents lol!). You could do a slightly smaller headband and it would be ok for a child (the adult one fits DS as the pattern has stretch in it and the one for him just stretches less than for me!
    NannyJanny wrote: »
    Lovely little cardie Orkney Star. It'll probably take me a day to choose colours from my bits and bobs. I see somebody that has knitted it (in projects) recommended knitting the border as you go along, adding the border stitches on to the needle for the fronts. Have you ever tried this? I would be a bit worried about the border being too loose. Although it is in garter stitch. I don't mind picking up stitches, but borders knitted separately and then sewn on are not my favourite to do!

NJ
    Do you know I cannot remember how I did it but I do remember it being easy and I think I followed the pattern as is!
    I am not sure about knitting as you go, if the pattern suggests picking them up with smaller needle size then that may be neater, but knitting it with it might well be easier. Try and see how you do....sorry to not be more help. I love that pattern though, need to find another little girl to knit for really!

Anyone see lambanana around recently ? Now her pics are inspiring! Anyhoo, better get off here and to more pressing things. x

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback