PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Smart Deposit scheme invalidation?

2»

Comments

• ciderboy2009
    ciderboy2009 Posts: 1,147
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    Dear Estate Agent,
    Thank you for your recent contact.

As I have fully complied with the tenancy agreement I fail to see why I should assist in covering up an error made solely by your company.

However, I am willing to sign a newly dated tenancy agreement as you suggest providing that you agree to pay my reasonable fee for doing so of £280.

Yours etc.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,452
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If the agent wants the full deposit paid, then I suggest that he tops your £280 up to the full £800. He can do this out of his commission.

His solution, namely defrauding FCC Paragon is great for him but awful for you. Don't do it. Is he a member of an ombudsman scheme?
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • GDB2222
    Forumite
    Dear Estate Agent,
    Thank you for your recent contact.

As I have fully complied with the tenancy agreement I fail to see why I should assist in covering up an error made solely by your company.

However, I am willing to sign a newly dated tenancy agreement as you suggest providing that you agree to pay my reasonable fee for doing so of £280.

Yours etc.

You want to add blackmail to the fraud? ;)
  • GDB2222
    Forumite
    By the way, it takes many months of legal action to evict a tenant. And, that's where there is good cause for doing so!
  • da_rule
    da_rule Posts: 3,618
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    GDB2222 wrote: »

There isn't any fraud.

Nothing to stop someone legitimately surrendering a tenancy and entering into a new one. The start date on the insurance policy will be the start date on the new tenancy.

The only issue will be where the policy uses the date of occupation rather than the commencement of the tenancy.
  • ciderboy2009
    ciderboy2009 Posts: 1,147
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    At least I'm not the one being greedy & trying to get £520 out of them :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • GDB2222
    Forumite
    da_rule wrote: »
    There isn't any fraud.

Nothing to stop someone legitimately surrendering a tenancy and entering into a new one. The start date on the insurance policy will be the start date on the new tenancy.

The only issue will be where the policy uses the date of occupation rather than the commencement of the tenancy.

There's no suggestion of that in the OP. Just of lying to FCC.
  • I have in writing the agent saying 'I'm considering telling them you moved in on the 15th just to secure the smart deposit'

She also said to me verbally, the new agreement is just to secure the smart deposit and nothing about my current agreement will change. She did not say at anytime neither verbally or in writing I would have to surrender the current agreement and move on to the proposed new one.
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    She also said to me verbally, the new agreement is just to secure the smart deposit and nothing about my current agreement will change. She did not say at anytime neither verbally or in writing I would have to surrender the current agreement and move on to the proposed new one.
    Of course the agent didn't say that. They've seriously messed up and are now trying to get out of it in any way possible.

You have done everything needed to comply with the terms of your tenancy agreement, to make changes and false statements now would be committing fraud for zero benefit.
  • diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,445
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Unlike the estate agent you can sleep easy. You have done nothing wrong. I would stop replying to them about it. Ultimately that insurance policy helps the landlord not you, so it's the estate agents jobs to get it right.
    I would inform them that say continue this conversation there will be an hourly charge from your side
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure