Good board games

Comments

• PintAndAPie
    PintAndAPie Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    My favorite has got to be K2, whenever friends are round it always gets played.
  • Little_Vics
    Little_Vics Posts: 1,516 Forumite
    Hoppit, a 70's classic, is a FIRM favourite in our house for 4 players. Each player has 6 toadstools and 5 frogs. Toadstools move like a chess queen, frogs move by hopping over adjacent toadstools of any color. The objective is to be the first to get all of your frogs to the opposite end of the board. It gets very strategic very quickly.

We also played LINKEE at Christmas, which was brilliant.
  • a good place to get games is charity shops , my local one sells loads of different ones for £1 & £2 each

buy it play it donate it back and buy another one
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,400 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I second the Settlers of Catan - great game and lots of add ons. Also played Ticket to Ride USA (the first version), Europe, Asia, and Germany. They are all essentially a variation on the same theme with differences to game play. Recently bought Risk Legacy which looks good although rather complicated.
    Another board game we go back to regularly is Fleeced. Wallace and Gromit themed game where you have to try and rustle sheep and stop others rustling more. Great stuff.
    Still got my Escape from Colditz board game from 20 years ago. Don't play it too much though as nobody likes being the Germans for some reason.
    The grand kids are into Monopoly which is a good game, but spent most of my childhood playing it with my 4 brothers. It doesn't feel the same playing hard ball with the grand kids.
  • Another recomendation for Settlers of Catan and also Talisman.
  • JasX
    JasX Posts: 3,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I dont think you can beat the old games, trivial pursuit, monopoly, scrabble, pictionary.

I'm also going to mildly troll here and come out in fairly strong disagreement with posts on the above theme.

As reported in a few newspapers over the last year eg:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/dec/09/board-games-comeback-freeman

Boardgames have had something of a resurgence in the last couple of years and some of the better / newer 'popular' ones around do blow the old ones like trivial pursuit etc completly out of the water (yes there is a lot of dross around so you need to read reviews etc etc)

I think the posters who think the best games you'll come across are all 30 years old and best picked up from the charity shop are definitely missing out on how things are developing and might be pleasantly surprised if they take a peek at current offerings/update themselves

/troll :A
  • Jamie94
    Jamie94 Posts: 31 Forumite
    Backgammon
    Battleship
    Bora Bora
    Brainteasers
    Chess
    Chinese Checkers
    Cluedo
    Cribbage
    Dads Army
    Draughts
    Dungeons & dragons
    Escape from Colditz
    Formula 1
    Jenga
    Ludo
    Mah Jongg
    Mastermind
    Monopoly
    Mouse Trap
    Operation
    Othello
    Pictionary
    Risk
    Scene It
    Scrabble
    Snakes & Ladders
    Solitaire
    Sorry!
    Sportac
    Trivial Pursuit
    Wheel of fortune
    Who wants to be a millionaire
    World of Warcraft
    Yahtzee
  • Monopoly and Risk are two of the worst games out there, they both rely on random dice rolls, and they can both drag on for hours after its patently obvious who is going to win. They are a great way to teach children futility and disappointment.

Connect Four is broken, the first player can win every time no matter what the other player does.

The beauty of the 'Euro' game is that what you do on your turn isn't dictated by a random dice roll, you have resources and a choice of how to use them. Sure the resources may be dealt randomly, as in Ticket to Ride and Carcassone, but you can still always do something, instead of just watching another player run away with it.

Have a look at the games at the bottom of the ratings list on BoardGameGeek, I think Yahtzee's somewhere down there too.
    Out on blue six..
    It's Chips and Jackets, Peas and Trousers.
  • I bought my wife Pandemic, and we really enjoyed that, although probably need to replay it again soon.
  • JasX wrote: »
    I'm also going to mildly troll here and come out in fairly strong disagreement with posts on the above theme.

As reported in a few newspapers over the last year eg:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/dec/09/board-games-comeback-freeman

Boardgames have had something of a resurgence in the last couple of years and some of the better / newer 'popular' ones around do blow the old ones like trivial pursuit etc completly out of the water (yes there is a lot of dross around so you need to read reviews etc etc)

I think the posters who think the best games you'll come across are all 30 years old and best picked up from the charity shop are definitely missing out on how things are developing and might be pleasantly surprised if they take a peek at current offerings/update themselves

/troll :A

I don't think this post is trolly at all....not sure why you think that.
    Just because you disagree doesn't mean that are a troll. Keeps the discussion interesting, although i have looked and bought many games over the years and still go back to the old ones i mentioned.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback