PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Any toasters that fit big bread?

Comments

• Our old toaster is getting a bit temperamental and we are looking for a new one. Problem is none of them seem to be deep enough to fit the large bread you get nowadays. Does anyone know of one that fits large bread vertically - at the moment we have a 2-slot 4 slice toaster and you have to put the bread in sideways so you can only get two slices in!

Joe

We always have this problem too as manufacturers only appear to consider the thickness of the bread slice rather than the height of the slice! Out of sheer frustration we took a tape measure with us to all the electrical shops to measure the slots and the only toaster we have found so far that will fit bread such as warburtons 'toastie' or 'farmhouse' is the Russell Hobbs Classic toaster. It's not very stylish but it does fit the bread in, it seems unbelieveable that top end manufacturers like Dualit still cannot make a toaster that does the job.
  • chinagirl
    chinagirl Posts: 875 Forumite
    I recommend Aldi stainless steel 2 x slice toaster. It has lovely wide slots and can even toast crumpets or toasted sandwiches with ease. Oh and best bit, it only cost me £12.99. :)
    keep smiling,
    chinagirl x
  • Apparently the Tefal King Size Toaster toast slices up to 15cm x 15cm! Not too expensive either!
  • I learned a bit about this over the years. First as a few people have already said, you don't need to spend a lot to get a toaster for thick slices. Many cheap toasters take thicker sliced bread. Just look for a wide slot opening.

Second, I've also found expensive is not always better. I bought one of those fancy, four slice Tefal (yes Tefal) toasters, that take thick slices. It was stylish, chrome and black, had angled slots, with 2 separate controls (so you could toast just 2 slices). It worked great, and then ..... BROKE after a few years use. :(

By contrast, I also have a basic Swan brand toaster that still works perfectly after 15 years! :) I now only buy basic toasters.
  • Lifeforms
    Lifeforms Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    My dad is having this problem again, after their old toaster died. I've sent him to look at the Tefal king size one, which is comparably priced. The additional problem they have is that mum has her own (for gluten free breads) so they need a two slice, rather than a 4, and turn it around job. I did wonder if there were any short smaller 2 slice toasters, seeing as her gluten free bread is quite small compared with the normal sized loaves now.
  • SydSnott
    SydSnott Posts: 40
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I'm here out of frustration at having to return two different machines this week which fail to accomodate a slice from a standard Warburtons 800 gram "Toasty" loaf.
    So many of the contributors here seem to confuse width (thickness of slice) with the flat dimensions of the slice.
    The problem is that so many manufacturers only take into account the US standard slice dimensions which are approx 12cm square and this ofcourse saves them money on materials and makes more profit!
    I am now reduced to traipsing around trhe shops with a slice of Warbies Toastie bread in my pocket, ready to test Toasters before carting them home and back again! :)
  • Have you seen this one? It even says big enough for Warburton's slices
    Breville VTT570 Warburton 2 Slice Toaster available at Argos
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,903
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I've an elderly 4 slice Dualit (the sort that seems to have been hammered out of a single chunk of metal, not desperately pretty but scrubs up OK) & it seems to cope fine with the toastie slices.

Were there issues, the teenagers would have yelled by now!

I have to say it was a wedding present & when I see it in Costco they're asking £140 which seems ridiculous, but we're eyeing the silver wedding anniversary & it's never needed maintenance. Cleaning, but not repairing.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,649
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Nine year thread resurrection - good searching. I’ve got the old 1990s hewn-from-the-solid Dualit, but in 2-slice. It toasts pretty unevenly tbh. Best toaster i have is an old micromark with very long slots. Takes Warburtons no problem.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Breville-2-Slice-Toaster-Perfect-Warburtons/dp/B00TPM40JQ/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=breville+toaster&qid=1560791262&s=gateway&sr=8-6

gone up a alot on price since I purchased mine but its been going for years and fits a Hovis standard loaf perfectly, whereas other toasters the top section would never fit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure