New Mint Offering

Options
MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Credit card provider Mint (part of the RBS group) has a new range of offers for new customers.  Currently it is only via the internet, though it is likely to be via the phone in a few weeks (to be confirmed)

The following are the new deals.  New customers may select one of the offers only - you need to choose which one you get.

MINT Internet ONLY Offers - Effective ASAP  
  • 0% introductory rate on purchases and balance transfers for 8 months from account opening, 11.9% APR thereafter
  • Introductory deal of 0.9% rate on purchases and balance transfers for 11 months, 11.9% APR thereafter
  • 3.9% APR on the life of balance transfers and 0% on new purchases for 6 months, 11.9%
    APR thereafter
  • A flat rate of 7.9% APR from account opening on balance transfers and purchases

Customers earn 0.5% cashback on all purchases for all of the above options

If these are compared to the current market best buys - only one of them is a market leader. All the rest are substantially behind the top on the market.

The 3.9% life of balance card puts Mint in an equal position to Texaco for the best life of balance card. It will be added into the relevant article (if you aren't sure what a life of balance offer is, it's explained in full there). Otherwise, i suggest you stick with the current best buys

Read the full articles

Best Purchases Card
Best Balance Transfers
Best Cashback Card
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• cafenervosa_2
    Options
    Do they still offer Balance Transfer cheques as a SBT ?
  • Robert_Sterling_3
    Options
    ...............................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym
  • cafenervosa_2
    Options
    Cheers thats all good then! ;D
  • zcaprd7
    zcaprd7 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Options
    I still have an RBS card - I gather I can "upgrade" to a Mint and take advantage of one of these offers?

Might be worth the phone call?
  • Sub_2
    Sub_2 Posts: 113 Forumite
    Options
    I still have an RBS card - I gather I can "upgrade" to a Mint and take advantage of one of these offers?

Might be worth the phone call?

I wondered about this myself...

I have an RBS card which I recently got wet, it sent the signiture strip all wonky and unreadable so I rang them up and asked them to send me out a new card. The phone monkey on the other end said I'd be getting a mint card through instead, which I was kind of unsure about *shrug*

Not sure I bellieved her, they often seem to not know their !!!!!! from their elbow when I ring the RBS lot. I'm also not sure that I want to all of a sudden have a MINT card instead, of course, if they want to tempt me with some 0% BT ....

:)
  • forcandle
    Options
    Having been shifting a few thousand from credit card to credit card for a few years now, I was pretty annoyed to find that they had taken 2 direct debit minimum payments when the account was actually in credit. When I rang to complain about it to ask for my money back and a £7 overdraught charge to be paid by them for their incorrect DD payment, I was told that they wouldn't be refunding the £7 charge but would graciously waive the £30 charge to give me my money back.

I can't believe they charge you for getting hold of your own money. Money taken without authority. Anyway, just thought people should know about this; I don't know how common this is.
    A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent,
    the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.
  • zcaprd7
    Options
    Not much help on the balance transfers board, too busy worrying about getting arrested for stoozing...

Hmm, this is a bit strange, just got off the phone to RBS about 'upgrading' my card to Mint to take advantage of the intro offer and the woman said to apply for it as normal?

Is this correct - I had the impression that a quick call and they upgraded you with the same credit limit?

Ta in advance...
  • zcaprd7
    Options
    Just rang up Mint - a very miserable get on the line - he confirmed that they are separate so no upgrade.

Though not separate enough to allow balance transfers between themselves...

I asked if having a existing limt with RBS would help and he said it should but the scoring will be done from scratch.
  • Dr_Loomis
    Options
    Quick question: I've got a full MINT card. Can I transfer the full balance to a bog standard credit card and then write another check to fill up my MINT card without incurring any charges.

I'm in my interest free period and doing this would be a good way to fill up another card I have which doesn't allow 'super' balance transfer.
    No reliance should be placed on the above.
  • Unbelievable_2
    Options
    If your bog standard card allows balance transfers at 0% and no fees then you can transfer from MINT to there, and then write a Transfer & Save cheque to move your MINT limit to your savings account - no charges. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure