Nat West - PPI

I made a PPI claim a few years ago with Nat West and was told that whilst there was PPI on my credit card account, they only went back 10(?) years (the account has been active for over 30 years). They also said that as I had made a claim on the insurance, I wasn't entitled to any refund of the premiums.

Anybody any ideas whether this is true and if not, where do I go from here.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    It sounds true.

The value of any claim is deducted from any redress.
  • Thanks for that.

What about the fact they only went back so far and not the whole life of the account?
  • [Deleted User]
    Forumite
    They may not hold records for the life of your account.
  • sun73
    sun73 Posts: 498
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    ns3981 wrote: »
    I made a PPI claim a few years ago with Nat West and was told that whilst there was PPI on my credit card account, they only went back 10(?) years (the account has been active for over 30 years). They also said that as I had made a claim on the insurance, I wasn't entitled to any refund of the premiums.

Anybody any ideas whether this is true and if not, where do I go from here.

Many thanks in advance.

You could send a DSAR to NatWest credit card services and if your account has been active for 30 years they should be able to locate your credit agreement and copies of credit card statements going back to 2001.

I was under the impression that it didn't matter if you made a claim on the policy because a mis-selling complaint depends on your circumstances when the policy was sold. You could phone FOS for clarification on this.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    sun73 wrote: »
    I was under the impression that it didn't matter if you made a claim on the policy because a mis-selling complaint depends on your circumstances when the policy was sold. You could phone FOS for clarification on this.
    Of course it "matters".
    Complainants don't get a full refund of the insurance in addition to having made a successful claim on the insurance.

If PPI was deemed mis-sold despite being claimed upon, lenders routinely deduct the amount already claimed from any redress.

There really is no need for anyone to check this with the Financial Ombudsman Service.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,631
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    sun73 wrote: »
    You could send a DSAR to NatWest credit card services and if your account has been active for 30 years they should be able to locate your credit agreement and copies of credit card statements going back to 2001.

You can hardly claim the PPI was unwanted or not needed when you've made a claim on it and even if you did, they're entitled to deduct the value of the payout from any refund (though luckily for consumers they don't refund you and demand the extra money paid out back if the claim was higher than the refund)

nb "you" not aimed at you in particular sun, just a general "you"
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    You can hardly claim the PPI was unwanted or not needed when you've made a claim on it
    Well, a customer could certainly still complain it was unwanted or not needed at the time of the sale because that is still a mis-sale even if circumstances changed later on.

However, complaints by people who have actually claimed on the insurance are often upheld solely because there is nothing or little to refund and it improves their statistics.

There is no question that any redress from such a complaint will always have the value of the claim subtracted from it. It's not a case of they can, it's a case of they will...
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,631
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Well, a customer could certainly still complain it was unwanted or not needed at the time of the sale because that is still a mis-sale even if circumstances changed later on.

However, complaints by people who have actually claimed on the insurance are often upheld solely because there is nothing or little to refund and it improves their statistics.

There is no question that any redress from such a complaint will always have the value of the claim subtracted from it. It's not a case of they can, it's a case of they will...

If the issue was at the time of the sale, they presumably would have complained then, rather than wait 30 years until they heard about the PPI refund industry ;)
  • Hello all,

I filled out the online form enquiringly whether I had PPI on my Nat West credit cards. I got a letter back saying they had no record or sort code and therefore no PPI. I refilled out the form and made sure that I stressed I didn’t have a bank account but I had two credit cards. I got nothing back from them. Wrote to the PPI dept asking for a SAR and Included £10. I got a lettter back from a woman saying she was dealing with my case. I then got a phone call from a man who is a SARs administrator informing me that their courier does not deliver to my address and they would send me the information via a secure email used by Nat West. I then received 38 documents. 35 were statements going back to 2001. 1 was comments about me paying off more than my monthly statement expected and 2 were letters from me informing them of my change of address. I sent a secure message to the gentleman informing him that I did not consider this a full and complete SAR and asked who their courier was ( I live in Cyprus - Barclaycard and Amex had no problem sending me SARs). I also asked for the NOTES on the Nat West archive and I asked him what is Nat West’s data retention policy. This was sent to them on 15 May, opened by him on 16 May and I’ve heard nothing since. Has anyone got any advice on what I do next. I’ve had my credit cards since 1980. Thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    Forumite
    if you had PPI, you'd see it on the statements.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure