I Want To Be Mortgage Free!

Comments

• Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Hi ch4rly! Thanks very much and I will definitely ask her about that! It is very handy having a nurse in the family and my brother is a firefighter so they put me and DH to shame really! Lol!

No tips on the sky bingo I'm afraid, it's just luck really! I don't do it very often only every couple of months and I never do any more than £10. If you are new to sky bingo you should find in the offers £10 free to use.

Good luck with your target for April and I'm sure you'll be under £200K in no time! xxx
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
  • Jessy103
    Well we've had a busy weekend! My friend that is moving had a king size bed that was going to go to the tip when they moved and as it was in great condition and we only have a double we've taken it off her hands for free! Her and her husband brought it round for us Saturday and her hubby and my hubby put it together while me and my friend had a coffee and a chat! We have had to buy a mattress for it as DH has back problems so he wanted a memory foam one but I ordered it from Very and got 20% off as I had a voucher so hasn't cost as much as we thought it would. Our double bed has been moved into the spare room so that can still be used it we have visitors.

I could do with some advice from you lovely people please! My friend has bought a new build down south and it was meant to be ready by April but this has now moved to July! The people buying her house up here have threatened to pull out if they can't move in by April so she has asked if she could come and live with us for the few months until the new house is ready. Now I have no problem with this and she will come to stay with us (DH has agreed to this) but my only thing at the moment is that she has offered to give us some money (not sure how much). As she works down south during the week she will only be here one or two nights during the week and at the weekend and during that time she will be at her mum's a lot which is where her husband and son will be staying (Her mum has only one spare room so her husband and son will be sharing and staying there until the school term ends and they can move down south too) so my question is do I accept the money? I don't want to because she's my friend and she's in abit of a pickle and I want to help in any way I can but on the other hand she has openly said she will be using my house like a hotel and the money would come in useful towards extra mortgage payments. I just don't know what to do! http://static.moneysavingexpert.com/images/forum_smilies/speechless-smiley-040.gif

In other news DH has sorted the car insurance this morning and has got it for £250 cheaper than the renewal price! http://static.moneysavingexpert.com/images/forum_smilies/sport-smiley-001.gif

Have a lovely afternoon/evening!
    Jess x
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,893 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    No advice on the friend situation, I'm afraid Jess, except maybe ask for a nominal sum just to cover electricity/water costs?

Great save on the car insurance!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• kirtsypoos
    kirtsypoos Posts: 3,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Hi Jessy,

Excellent news about the bed and the car insurance!

It's a difficult one with a friend - we had a friend of OHs staying for a few months and we just asked him to cover his food to start with until we saw what the increase in bills was.... I soon got hacked off when the gas/electric and water bills increased (by a chunk, not a little) and he wouldn't contribute, even after I asked him outright numerous times.

At least your friend wants to contribute, and I think a small amount is fair if she won't be there much, but it will at least cover any increase in bills.

Just my 2 pence :)

K x
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
    Mortgage - £151.316.54 :eek:
  • Jessy103
    Thanks madvix and kirstypoos! It is a tough one but I think we'll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it!

Had the shopping delivered today from Ocado. As I hadn't used them in a long time they had sent a money off voucher which was nice and because it was free delivery if you ordered over £75 I was able to order some extra bits and it worked out about the same as Tesco really.

Our new mattress for the kingsize bed is coming today! I'm really excited because DH is an absolute fidget in bed and I'm hoping having a bigger one will save me from getting kicked as much! lol!

Planted some tomato, pepper, French bean, pea and sweetcorn seeds this morning. I'm really looking forward to spring and summer and getting back out in the garden, especially with the rain today it can't come soon enough!!

Have a great day!
    Jess x
  • atypicalblonde
    atypicalblonde Posts: 3,057 Forumite
    I completely agree about spring, this weather is really starting to wear a little thin now. Enjoy your new mattress ;)x

ETA - For what it's worth, if you are feeding her I would be inclined to charge around £10 as a nominal fee for her food, and the small increase in bills. As she has offered to pay, she obviously would feel better about putting on you like that by paying her way. Maybe let her buy the odd takeaway/bottle of wine too x
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • Jessy103
    Hi atb! I know, it's not surprising people get that S.A.D when it's winter because I know it affects my mood!

Thanks for the advice and I think that's a good idea! I think we will just have to wait and see what happens and if it turns into a complete disaster she's moving to a different county anyway! Lol!

The mattress has been delivered but a bit annoyed because delivery blokes wouldn't help me take it upstairs! Tried myself but our stairs are on a corner and I just can't get it round myself as it keeps slipping back down! I got that hot and sweaty trying I've just had to have a shower and I'm pretty sure my body is going to punish me tomorrow for it! X
  • ch4rly2002
    ch4rly2002 Posts: 460 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion
    I can't believe they didn't help you take it upstairs! Terrible service, I'd complain if it were me. Great news about the free bed frame though :)

I agree with what everyone else is saying... a small amount to cover your increase and make your friend feel more comfortable 'imposing' on you sounds like a good plan :)

Well done on the insurance save too x
    Mortgage: Mar 2018 -£300,000 / Jul 2021 -£255,000
    Student Loan: March 2011 -£18,275.04 / Jul 2021 -£10,425.28
    Joint Savings: Aim £13.5k. Dec 2016 £1,700 / Jul 2021 £36,600
    Loan to In-Laws: Sep 2010 -£48,185.82 / Apr 2019 £0
    Car Loan: Sep 2018 -£16,265 / Apr 2019 £0
    Credit Card 0%: Nov 2016 -£4,500 / Apr 2019 £0
  • Jessy103
    Thanks ch4rly! I think I'll wait for her to say about it because she's good like that so I'm sure she will!

I know, blooming miserable !!!!!!s! Health and safety gone mad! Anyway when DH got home we managed to get it upstairs easily but we did have a laugh because as we all know you can't carry something heavy between you without turning into the Chuckle Brothers and saying 'To me!' 'To you!' Lol!

The new bedding is on and I can't wait to go to bed!

Having issues with British Gas. Asked DH to check his credit score as he hasn't done it for a while and his score had gone down a lot. When we looked into it an amount of £45 had been added in October 16 by British Gas. We've never been with British Gas in the 10 years we've lived here so called them up and was advised the £45 relates to a Final Bill on the flat we rented before we moved in to this house 10 years ago!!!!! We asked for a copy of this bill as we had never received it despite the fact we had a redirection of post from the flat when we first moved. They then told us we couldn't have a copy because of the age of the bill and that it has been archived!!!! When we asked how we are meant to pay a bill if we can't see it the lady said 'I don't know because you need the bill number to quote when paying the bill'. Can you bloody believe it!!!! Anyway we left it that this lady would try and get the bill out of archive and email it to us. I have put in a formal complaint to British Gas and have told them they either send us the bill to pay (I have no problem paying it if the details are correct) or credit the amount off the account. I have told them if they don't do either of these things asap I will be reporting it to Ofgem. I hope this will make them think I know what I'm on about and give them a kick up the !!!! and get it sorted! Bloody ridiculous situation though and I just don't understand how they've suddenly come up with it 10 years later!
    If anyone has any advise for me it would be greatly appreciated!

Jess x
  • Afternoon - with regards to your BG bill. In accounting terms, there is a statute of limitations of 6years, so therefore they should not be chasing you for that outstanding. I would go onto the Ofgem website regarding this, as I am sure there is something on there regarding that.

Well done on all your overpayments with regards to your mortgage. All going in the right direction.

Am off back to lurking now.

SIL
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family