Do I have a case?

Options
Hiya,

I was sold a 'professional studies loan' 7 years ago and am about to finish paying it off at last. I was told at the time that I had to have insurance to cover the amount of the loan or they wouldn't give me the loan, I have some of the original documents but not all, the premium was only £5.60 a month and was meant to cover life and critial illness, I had no idea that this insurance was voluntary. Do you think I have a case to claim back the money? Over the years it adds up to more than £500.

Thanks for any advice
Total debt (minus mortgage) [STRIKE]Jan 2008- £26972[/STRIKE]
[STRIKE] Total debt Jan 2009- £17673[/STRIKE], Feb 2012- £7620 :D

Comments

• di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    Smurggle wrote: »
    Hiya,

I was sold a 'professional studies loan' 7 years ago and am about to finish paying it off at last. I was told at the time that I had to have insurance to cover the amount of the loan or they wouldn't give me the loan, I have some of the original documents but not all, the premium was only £5.60 a month and was meant to cover life and critial illness, I had no idea that this insurance was voluntary. Do you think I have a case to claim back the money? Over the years it adds up to more than £500.

Thanks for any advice

Hi there

You may possibly have a case here hun, so give it a go, here is a link with some useful info and template reclaim letters:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance

Check it through and when you write to them use the template but write your own reasons, if not successful first time, write back to them again.
    Keep on at them until you exhaust their complaint procedures, where they will let you know when its the final response, and also give you details of how this can be taken further, such as with the Financial ombudsman service if eligible.

They have 8 weeks to respond in full.
    Post by recorded delivery, good luck and keep us posted.;)

Di
    X
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • Smurggle
    Smurggle Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for that, I'll give it a go!
    Total debt (minus mortgage) [STRIKE]Jan 2008- £26972[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE] Total debt Jan 2009- £17673[/STRIKE], Feb 2012- £7620 :D
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    Smurggle wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I'll give it a go!

Good luck.:D ;) , please let us know how you get on and if any further help is required.

Di
    X
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills