IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Urgent help needed - Judgement issued

Hi there,

I have received a County Court Claim form from Civil Enforcement Ltd on the 29th May after ignoring their previous threatening letters, etc. It is claimed that I parked in a car park in Henley from 8pm-10pm a while back. Unfortunately, I went to pay the claim to be done with it but it said that I've gone to judgement. I know that I should have acknowledged it earlier but my wife is heavily pregnant and I have been understandably distracted.

Please advise.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    You look to now have a judgement in default. This will now be on the register and will appear on your credit files

If you pay it off in full within a month of the date of judgement it will be removed from the register

Assuming that you want to do this then don't ignore this time

You must have seen you only had 14 days to act yet let it slip,!
  • c4nnon
    c4nnon Posts: 7 Forumite
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I am aware I've dropped a clanger on this one, but I assumed (obviously incorrectly) at first that it was a continuation of the scam as the claim form is printed on the cheapest paper with a rather fake looking county emblem at the top and no actual person's name on the legal representative signature - just Civil Enforcement Ltd printed. Naive from me I know, as apparently this is normal.

So my only option now is to pay the full fine, court fee and legal costs (which amount to £325!) within a month of the date of judgement (22/6/18), otherwise I'll be getting a CCJ?

Thanks again
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    correct, pay in full within one month of the date of the judgment and it will be struck from the register

fail to do so will mean it stays on the register for 6 years, even if you pay it in full
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Did you ever get the claim from Norhampton ?

Did you ignore that ?
  • c4nnon
    Thanks.

I will put this down as a very expensive learning curve!
  • c4nnon
    edited 24 June 2018 at 8:35PM
    beamerguy

I did - in the post about 5 days ago, which is about 10 days AFTER the issue date. I was on the way out to an NCT class and so I misread the 'pay by' date and then forgot.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    c4nnon wrote: »
    beamerguy

I did - in the post about 5 days ago, which is about 10 days AFTER the issue date. I was on the way out to an NCT class and so I misread the 'pay by' date and then forgot.

I am talking about the court claim telling you were being
    taken to court by CEL
    To get a judgement, it would have to go to court, you
    did not turn up and you got a default judgement
  • Quentin
    edited 24 June 2018 at 8:51PM
    c4nnon wrote: »

So my only option now is to pay the full fine, court fee and legal costs (which amount to £325!) within a month of the date of judgement (22/6/18), otherwise I'll be getting a CCJ?
    Well......you now have a CCJ. As posted, this is now on the register.

It will be removed if you pay it within the month as advised

If you do decide to pay it in full (rather than in instalments) then send a receipt with your payment together with a sae. Then if the claimant failed to notify the court you can prove payment yourself to ensure it's removed from the register and your credit files
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    beamerguy wrote: »
    I am talking about the court claim telling you were being
    taken to court by CEL
    To get a judgement, it would have to go to court, you
    did not turn up and you got a default judgement

I dont believe this is true , sorry

if no AOS was done and the 14 days plus 5 for service passed without reply (so after say 3 weeks), then I believe Northampton CCBC will be asked by the claimant for a default judgment , meaning it does not actually go to court at all

I believe the OP has got a default judgment due to inaction and that the CCBC signed off on it (perhaps they have some robo-judge that rubber stamps the defaults ?)
  • Quentin
    All correct.

You get a default judgment after ignoring the court without any need for a hearing!!

The claimant can apply for judgement as soon as the deadline to appeal has passed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure