DHL Import Duty and VAT

high-voltage
high-voltage Posts: 5 Forumite
edited 18 June 2018 at 11:39AM in Reclaim PPI & other insurance
I shipped some personal belongings back from USA, 6 weeks ago, and I have presented with a bill from DHL? Much too my surprise I thought it was a scam....

The bill from DHL insists I owe them hefty amount for import duty/ VAT of said items. This doesn't seem quite right, especially as the bill has been sent in several weeks after the goods have been received?

The charges for duty, and VAT don't stack up... VAT on personal belonging doesn't sound right?

Not sure what to do, I tried contacting DHL but it is like talking to a brickwall.

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Needs more information.

When you say 'personal belongings' are you a resident of the USA that is moving to the UK? Or did you go on holiday and buy lots of new personal belongings and shipped them to yourself?
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,809 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What did you declare on the commercial invoice (I hope you did one) particularly in regards to what the things were?

If you are shipping your own belongings that were previously owned and you can prove this (such as receipts from the UK), you can have the duty removed but if you just shipping a load of stuff to the UK from the US they have probably thought it was new and that's why you have VAT charges
  • I completed the declaration form in triplet prior to shipping, and I declared the goods as personal belongings, and itemised the goods with value as requested. I have the original receipts to back-up the claim.

I briefly lived in the states for duration, and then returned. These are my personal belonging not items I bought new. The letter DHL has copy a of declaration with it and it quite clearly states, personal belongings. I can't imagine why they think this is acceptable?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You'll likely get more informed answers if you post on the "Consumer Rights" section of this forum.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=173
  • Nasqueron
    You'll likely get more informed answers if you post on the "Consumer Rights" section of this forum.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=173

Funnily enough this is more my area of work so it ended up ok
  • Nasqueron
    I completed the declaration form in triplet prior to shipping, and I declared the goods as personal belongings, and itemised the goods with value as requested. I have the original receipts to back-up the claim.

I briefly lived in the states for duration, and then returned. These are my personal belonging not items I bought new. The letter DHL has copy a of declaration with it and it quite clearly states, personal belongings. I can't imagine why they think this is acceptable?

The problem is declaring values which is why they have assumed they are imports and thus charged as if they are imports - if they are old things that are your personal belongings it's a bit different. You need to speak to DHL customs clearance team and explain to them they are personal effects and send evidence of this and tell them they need to remove the duty/VAT charges. You are allowed to declare nominal values for non-duty things (e.g. for a warranty return etc) or approx. prices for old things

Try 0344 248 0777
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport