Are *any* Uk Energy suppliers currently rolling out SMETS 2 Smartmeters?

Anyone got any info?? Really want a SMETS2 Meter - getting a smartmeter just for it go go dumb when I switch in 12 months seems ridiculous.

Ever smart told me I have no chance of getting one from anybody until 2018 - is this correct?

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 October 2017 at 9:42AM
    Yes. The Government is allowing suppliers to count SMETS1 meters towards the SMETS2 target. All SMETS1 meters will be adopted by The Data Communications Company by 2020. SMETS2 meters should start rolling out from the end of this year. New/small suppliers are sitting on the fence until they see which SMETS2 meters work best and which do not.

From an Ofgem Letter to suppliers in Jun 17:

Suppliers need to consider carefully their approaches to complying with their licence obligations in relation to the rollout, including: requirements on large suppliers to become a DCC user by 25 May 2017 and for all suppliers by 25 November 2017; The SMETS1 end date (which will be confirmed by BEIS in due course) after which new installations of SMETS1 meters (and any SMETS1 meters that were installed prior to the end-date but were not made compliant by the end-date) will no longer ‘count’ towards suppliers’ smart meter rollout obligations;  the large supplier advanced metering exception end date of 12 November 2017 (or as otherwise directed by BEIS); the small supplier advanced metering exception end date of 12 March 2018 (or as otherwise directed by BEIS); for larger suppliers meeting the binding milestones they set themselves for 2017, 2018 and 2019; and  all suppliers must ensure they are taking all reasonable steps to complete the rollout by the end of 2020.

As you can see, it is full of what, if and maybe speak.
  • Thanks, that's very disappointing. Obviously the rollout will be delayed a few times, so maybe this time next year we`ll be in luck

Looks like I`ll just have to wait until next year.
  • System
    Steve_1234 wrote: »
    Thanks, that's very disappointing. Obviously the rollout will be delayed a few times, so maybe this time next year we`ll be in luck

Looks like I`ll just have to wait until next year.

The rollout has been delayed MANY times over the past few years and, in the view of many in the industry, the 2020 target is no longer achievable. Industry wants Government to delay; Government wants to blame industry for the delay. The truth is that this project has been made un-necessarily over complicated.
  • That sounds wholly unsurprising. Cheers.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hengus wrote: »
    Yes. The Government is allowing suppliers to count SMETS1 meters towards the SMETS2 target. All SMETS1 meters will be adopted by The Data Communications Company by 2020.

....and pink pigs will fly........................:rotfl:
  • Steve_1234
    Steve_1234 Posts: 15 Forumite
    So its been another 6 months, has there been any movement at all?
  • System
    Steve_1234 wrote: »
    So its been another 6 months, has there been any movement at all?

Rolling out - no (AFAIK): running SMETS2 trials - yes.

https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/smets-1-and-2-new-smart-meter-generation.html

Note the Go Live date of October 2018. However, the one thing that this project is known for is time shifts to the right.
  • Steve_1234
    Steve_1234 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Appreciate the update, even though its looking hopeless.
  • Anyone got any news? Ovo1`s website saying that their rollout has started - but anyone know for sure if this is true - or if other suppliers are starting?
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Numbers do seem to be building pretty fast now. I'm try and summarize next week.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure