Our new Plusnet haggling guide- please share your feedback

Options

Comments

• huggermugger
    huggermugger Posts: 247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Been out of contract for a while with Plusnet paying rolling £9.99 a month on "ordinary" broadband, no phone - speeds are shocking in our area so only getting 5MB at best. Cabinet has now been upgraded to fibre so after much nagging from DS1 I made a phonecall today.

I rang the 0800 number in the "Haggle with Plusnet" article and pressed the button for the leaving option. They initially offered me fibre & line rental for £24.99 a month (which would be a saving of £1.99 a month and an upgrade to fibre) but I said no, I wasn't happy with that. Then they said if I pay up front I could have it for an equivalent £20.50 per month - £197.88 up front plus £4.01 per month. I do have to pay £6.99 for the router but even with that I am saving £5.90 a month and got the upgrade. Now wondering if I could have asked for £50 cashback as well but suspect I wouldn't have got it...

But very happy overall - we have been with Plusnet for a few years and have been very happy with them. Phone is with BT; couldn't care less who provides it as we never use it (except for 0800 numbers :rotfl:). Plus I don't have to jump through any hoops/mess around with remembering to claim cashback etc. I think headline rate to new customers atm is £24.99 so not bad. :beer:
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Plusnet are so easy to haggle with its surprising.

Vodafone have a fixed £20pm line and fibre internet deal at the moment for 18 month contract. Which Plusnet have matched. Their other option was £22.49 (£16.49 LRS + £6). The full price for those who don't haggle or are out of contract appears to be about £34 a month.
  • bill888
    bill888 Posts: 248 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 May 2018 at 2:11PM
    Options
    As mentioned by huggermugger and Neil Jones, one of my friends who was half way through their £9.99 Plusnet 24 month fibre retention contract, got the same £4.01 deal when they phoned up Plusnet yesterday to renegotiate their contract after receiving 'price rise' email. They mentioned Vodafone is cheaper.

£20.49 (LRS) + £4.01 = £20.50 pcm

It is worth mentioning Plusnet has a specific telephone number for Customer Options (cancellations) team. The 'price rise' email appears to have a special telephone number to call - choose 'cancellations'. I don't recommend contacting Customer Services or using webchat as the agents who respond 'may' not be empowered to offer the same deal to price match Vodafone.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Vodafone deal is just £20/month for existing Voda Customers. PN will pricematch that! (gets cheaper if you pay LRS!)
  • Tyler_Durden_UK
    Options
    bill888 wrote: »

It is worth mentioning Plusnet has a specific telephone number for Customer Options (cancellations) team. The 'price rise' email also has a special telephone number to call. I don't recommend contacting Customer Services or using webchat as the agents who respond 'may' not be empowered to offer the same deal to price match Vodafone.

Whats that number ?
  • bill888
    bill888 Posts: 248 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Customer Options tel. number can be found in the 'Haggle with Plusnet guide'. ie. 0800 013 2632
  • Tyler_Durden_UK
    Options
    Just called PN and tried to get them to match the VF £20 deal, they said they couldn't, best they could offer was £22, which is still a £3 pm saving on what I'm currently on. Will try again shortly
  • da_murphster
    da_murphster Posts: 142 Forumite
    edited 23 May 2018 at 12:36PM
    Options
    Just tried to price match vodafone £25 for fast fibre.

Plusnet said £35 was the best they could do and didnt budge?

Am I best just to try again later?

Edit: just tried on their chat and got to £27/m

Going to give it one more go later!
  • da_murphster
    da_murphster Posts: 142 Forumite
    Options
    Just tried to price match vodafone £25 for fast fibre.

Plusnet said £35 was the best they could do and didnt budge?

Am I best just to try again later?

Edit: just tried on their chat and got to £27/m

Going to give it one more go later!

So
    an update to this, after 3 attempts I could not get them to beat the £27/m.

I was going to jump ship to Vodafone until I read the reviews of their speed and customer service and decided that plusnet is worth the additional £2/m!

I've saved £80/m haggling/changing various suppliers this week
  • simonbk
    simonbk Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Plusnet told me they could match any available deal if I agreed to stay with them, but then refused to go lower than £27/mth for Phone/78Mb Broadband compared to the £25 a month that Vodafone have offered! (Their system says Vodafone are currently charging £27 although my email clearly says I've signed up for 18 months @ £25)

So, unfortunately, my switch to Vodafone is going ahead next month. :-(

I really didn't want to switch, as Plusnet have also offered outstanding customer service, but the Vodafone offer is just too good to pass on especially with the guaranteed minimum speed or a 15% discount (which would bring it down to £21.75 a month).

Living on the outskirts of London my speed seems to vary a hell of a lot throughout the day so it'll be interesting to see if it stays above 55Mb with Vodafone...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback