Reducing Debt - being accountable and taking responsibility

Comments

• Quickly checking in before I get stuck into the working day.

The weekend was busy but rewarding. Ran a lot of errands on Saturday and caught up on the neverending laundry (how do just two people manage to create so much laundry!!). Managed to send all my various clothing parcels back - G4P are so annoying in sending orders out in multiple packages! Not much of the stuff I ordered 'worked' for me and my existing wardrobe, so I've sent most back and kept a few staples (long sleeve t-shirts and turtlenecks) as layering pieces which were only £8.49 each. I've still some money left over in my clothing budget to spend and have a few other things I'm waiting for to arrive. Hopefully, I'll find what I'm looking for and if not, I'll put the money aside for another day.

Sunday was a work catch up day and I was rather productive in the end!! Then we watched some sport and had dinner, so a NSD for me.

This week I want to get a work project at least 50% finished before Xmas, so I'm going to try and nail it! WFH all week so I'm looking forward to a relaxed end to the working year.

I'm heading off to see family at the end of the week and will be away for at least two weeks over Xmas / new year. I will be adopting my annual self-imposed internet ban for these two weeks so I'll be going a little quiet towards the end of the week.

DSL :j
  • You are doing really well and seemed to have grasped the rudiments of saving and budgeting really well. I like the feeling of being in control of my finances which is why I am a strict budgeted and saver and that is probably true of many other aspects of my life. I don't like getting too drunk or overwhelmed with work as that puts me out of kilter as I am not in control. Only a few days though before I don't need to worry about that any more ;). Have a great Xmas and happy and successful debt busting 2018.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Thanks Enthusiastic! Wow, you're sooo close to retirement! Hope you enjoy your last few days :) Have a wonderful Xmas and new year!
  • Remember when I told you DF and I hadn't switched our buildings and contents insurance since we moved in 10 years ago. Ahem. :o

Well, after last month's amazing £200 saving on our building insurance, today I managed to save a whopping £343 on our annual contents insurance! :D DF can't quite believe it to be honest but I bloody can! It's actually with the same insurer as we had before but we went through a third party when we originally bought the house, so technically we're new customers. I basically added contents to my new buildings insurance policy and it saved about £70 on the equivalent separate policy purchase cost. MSE Win.

This year, we've paid upfront on all our insurances - buildings, contents and car insurances - so it's been a very expensive few months, hence making only £358 debt repayments over the past two months and in January too. Still, it's all done now and I can look forward to having more spare ££s to repay debts and, after August, save into an 3-6 months of expenses emergency fund. Dave Ramsey-test.

I can't wait to get these 'expensive' months over and done with and get back to my £1,000 debt repayment months.

January salary, (paid at the end of January) will have my increment applied so I look forward to an extra £52.86 per month / £634.32 annually after tax and all deductions. Will just about cover inflation :rotfl:

This will probably be my last post of 2017 as I'm on an internet blackout over the festive period so I wish you all a happy and enjoyable festive period. See you on the other side, debt slayers!

• Sneaks back in...

It's been a while since I last posted. I've taken a couple of months off my extreme debt slaying, not for any particular purpose or with any motivation in mind, but I felt I needed a break from the gazelle intense focus.

January was expensive as I had a big car service and a few trips away for work. February was okay but I changed up my skin care routine and invested in buying new products. We also booked our summer holiday so had deposits to pay. And we stock piled on fish oils (we don't eat much fish but take a reasonably expensive fish oil supplement) and vitamins (an extra boost for the winter months, which is paying off as we've had no colds / illnesses since April last year).

However, the good news is I've been keeping on track with budgeting and YNAB and with paying off the debt. In fact, it's just normal to me now. It's not even 'keeping on track' anymore as I can't imagine spending more than I earn and not being able to reconcile my YNAB categories. My light bulb is an industrial 1000 mega watt shiner!

My current debt status is:

CC2 Balance: £7569.39 (whoo, below the 8K mark!)
    Car Finance Balance: £789.55 (whooo, below the 1K mark!)

My current DFD is 1st October. I've pushed it back a bit from August because we've booked a summer holiday and that will cost me a few £000s (we like our summer holidays and take great pleasure in them. Its something I'm willing to spend my salary on).

Also, I decided on an emergency budget. I got to the point where I wanted some savings. So, it's up to £660 and will be £1000 by April 1st. I'm still mildly reluctant to keep the money in my bank rather than paying off CC2 - I could be below the 7K mark if I did (!!), but I'm currently in a savings frame of mind so I'll run with it and see how I get on. I may, come September, just throw it on CC2 and be done with debt a month early. We'll see!

Other updates? Not much, still not put the house on the market as we need to do some redecoration but we'll get to it soon.

It's been 6 months since I start properly debt slaying. In that time, I've reduced my debt by £4,226,20. Insane. :D

Because CC2 is interest free until June 2019 and DF now knows about my debt, the secretive keeness I had when I first started my diary 6 months ago has vanished. But, it's been replaced by a financial maturity that I wasn't expecting to have developed over the past 6 months. In fact, I almost take it for granted now. I think taking two months off being gazelle intense has been good - I've enjoyed meeting the minimum debt repayments, saving some and having the rest to spend on indulgent things like new beauty products, an expensive food shop or a couple of bargain pieces in the late January sales. It's given me insight into what my DFD will bring. I'm particularly enjoying the savings part!

But, I'm back on it properly now. I want to be debt free by October. Challenged laid bare! I don't have any significant expenses coming up, aside from our holiday, so I'm hoping to reignite the fire of debt slaying once again.

Look forward to catching up on others diaries over the next few days!

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,573 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    I thought I hadn't seen any posts from you recently. Usually diary silence means the debt has risen so very impressed to see you are on target. Debt free in 2018 sounds great. Good news you have an EF and booked a holiday too.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Thanks Enthusiastic! Hows retired life? I hope you're living the dream :)
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,573 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks Enthusiastic! Hows retired life? I hope you're living the dream :)

It is great thanks. I am very much enjoying being able to choose how I spend my time. Loving the non commuting in all this bad weather too.
  • Afternoon peeps.

Had a fairly quiet and low spend (ish) few days. Yesterday I went into our local town and picked up a couple of online orders and then did a Waitrose food shop using my £25 voucher (from JL Partnership card points). Always nice to get free food. We needed quite a few store cupboard items so it wasn't an ultra cheap shop but the voucher helped.

Today I've been out of the office for most of the day at a work meeting. Even though I'm on expenses and can charge my coffees and lunches to my employer, I still have to spend my own cash first and it's beginning to get a bit tiresome, with all the work trips I've been doing lately. So, today I decided to take a packed lunch to reduce spends but I couldn't resit the allure of a coffee. Only £3.05 spent, which isn't too bad! I also had to put £25 of fuel in my car but avoided the motorway services (£1.34 per litre for petrol!!!!!) and drove around on fumes until I found a cheaper petrol station (I think it was £1.16 per litre). I should have filled up before I left home but I forgot and then the queue in the petrol station before the motorway was backing up on to the road so I thought I'd wing it and fill up at my destination.

Tomorrow I'm back out at work meetings, this time in the opposite direction and into town on the train, so I will have to pay for a ticket and probably a spot of lunch too. I also want to head into a department store whilst I'm in town as I need a colour consultation for a new foundation I'm thinking of getting. I'm not getting on with my mineral power foundation at the moment so I'm thinking of changing to a liquid based one and seeing how that works.

• It's been 7 months since my light bulb moment and I was reflecting the other day on how far I've come.

On 1st August (just before my LBM), my total debt exposure was £13,915.17. This figure included a overdraft, car finance and balances on 3 credit cards.

On 1st March, this number was down to £8,358.94 which is a difference of £5,556.23 and represents an average monthly debt repayment of £793.74. Wow.

These figures astound me. The one thing that stands out the most from my LBM and onwards is the feeling that I have never felt richer. It sounds strange to say, but I just feel like budgeting and giving every £ a job has created more headspace to think about deferring gratification and long term financial planning. This has in turn created an appreciation of money and, as Dave Ramsey would say, an understanding of how your income (with no payments) is your biggest wealth generating tool. I can't wait to have no payments and no outstanding balances.

I'll restart my end of month round up at the end of March. I plan to pay around £1,000 off CC2 and get my Emergency Fund up to £1000 with March's salary.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport