Pocket Money

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    Its not about working for free, it's about being a contributing member of the household in which they are part of. No one pays me to do the ironing, hoover, scrub the toilet etc.

I started getting pocket money at the age of 5 when I started school. Back then I could either afford a packet of stickers or some sweets. My dad would take me each week to the newsagent and let me choose which I wanted, on occasion he would buy me the item I couldn't afford (with a 'shhhh' don't tell mum) but that was always a treat and I never asked / expected it.

That’s fine, many people do get paid to do those things, they’re called cleaners- not sure why you think their work isn’t worthy of payment?

Each to their own.
  • At that age (early 80s) it was 50p rising to £1. Nothing for chores.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The amounts are irrelevant now as time has passed..... but when they were teens I gave them monthly pocket money by direct debit so they learned to manage a bank account too.

I can guarantee that you didn't ;)
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Comms69 wrote: »
    That’s fine, many people do get paid to do those things, they’re called cleaners- not sure why you think their work isn’t worthy of payment?

Each to their own.

Cleaners get paid for going into a property that is not their own to clean it - no one pays them to clean the home they live in.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• takman wrote: »
    I can guarantee that you didn't ;)

It does seem unlikely that the child(ren) would be a direct debit originators.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I never had pocket money, my parents just bought me what I wanted (within reason!). I think that was a mistake. I didn't value how hard it is to earn money.
    I give my 11 year old £40 a month. I find she is really responsible making sure her balance doesn't drop too low and she is more calculated when she makes purchases, looking for a bargain etc!
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,417 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    AndyBSG wrote: »
    Just out of interest, what age do parents start giving kids pocket money?

My two are both too young at the moment to even understand the concept of money and I have no idea when to expect them to be wanting their own money!

I think I started getting pocket money when I was about 7, as my parents opened my first savings account at that age. Not that I was very good at saving it back then!
  • I give my 11 year old £40 a month. I find she is really responsible making sure her balance doesn't drop too low and she is more calculated when she makes purchases, looking for a bargain etc!
    I wasn't even getting 40p when I was 11!:rotfl:
  • Comms69 wrote: »

Each to their own.

Why cant they do it out of kindness?
  • When growing up me and my sister got an amount equal to how old we were at the time. So when I was 10 I would get £10 a month, while my sister at age 7 would get £7 a month. My parents also paid our phone contracts. We were expected to help out with the household, while this was not directly related to our pocket money, my parents would threaten to/take it away if we had misbehaved.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure