Gas meter and Gas sizes questions

Options
Hi,

Just to clarify there's only 1 gas pipe coming out from the gas meter?

Gas cookers, boilers, fireplaces share this 1 pipe?

Were getting a side extension done so that entails extending the gas pipe to the new boiler location.

Also we be moving the kitchen into the new build. So gas cooker will be moving.

Also in the new kitchen we like to install a new single eye level gas oven.

The questions are:

I assume the existing gas supplies to appliances will be capped off so gas pressure will be recovered back to the main 22mm gas pipe correct?

The new cooker and new location of freestanding cooker will just simply branch off the existing 22mm gas pipe?

Whats the max number of gas appliances and 30+ combi boiler that can run off a 22mm gas pipe without losing gas pressure?

Whats the max distance and how many max bends can a 22mm gas pipe have without losing gas pressure?

I asked these questions because recently I had 4 gas safe engineers come out with 2 different answers, 2 engineers saying existing 22mm gas pipe is fine and the other 2 is saying i need a bigger 28mm gas pipe :huh:

Comments

• Alex1983
    Alex1983 Posts: 958 Forumite
    Options
    They should of done a gas pipe size calculation, you need to know the kw size of each appliance, the length of the pipes and fittings involved.
  • ComicGeek
    ComicGeek Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As Alex says, it needs a proper calculation not a quick look and guess. And you need to know the exact gas rates for the boiler, cooker and oven to be able to calculate it, not just that the boiler is 30+.

Odds are high that a 28mm would be required though - unless the 2 engineers who said existing 22mm was fine have done detailed calculations that prove to the contrary I wouldn't get them back myself - they're either going to need to add more costs later on or leave you with problems.
  • bery_451
    bery_451 Posts: 1,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I haven't ordered the new gas cooker yet as the kitchen build is not completed yet.

So without this how can engineer do accurate gas pipe size calculations?

Another general question is it the matter of using all these gas appliances at the same time will reduce the gas pressure similarly like a wifi connection being shared by many the slower correct?

Finally if the gas appliances are energy efficient then will that reduce the chances of requiring of a bigger 28mm gas pipe?
  • Alex1983
    Options
    Freestanding gas cookers would normally be around 11kw obviously without know what your getting they can’t do a exact caluation but if your going to have a single over or just a gas hob then they will be able to look at similar appliances to get a general size and do a calculation based on that. I would agree it’s likely you will need 28mm for at least some of the gas run.

The gas pipework needs to be big enough to allow all the appliances to work if they are all operating at the same time. If it’s under sized and all appliances were operated then it’s potentially dangerous.

High efficiency appliances will still use the same amount of gas, as in a 30kw combi is still rated 30kw if it’s standard efficiency or a high efficiency condensing boiler.
  • fezster
    fezster Posts: 485 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bery_451 wrote: »
    I asked these questions because recently I had 4 gas safe engineers come out with 2 different answers, 2 engineers saying existing 22mm gas pipe is fine and the other 2 is saying i need a bigger 28mm gas pipe :huh:

Most likely you will need at least some 28mm for the appliances you have mentioned. The exact requirement needs to be calculated, and is based on lengths and fittings used, so ask the gas safe engineers to provide you with evidence of this.

In order to certify the installation at the end, they will need to do a gas pressure check. If it doesn't pass, they would be on the hook for the installation, and it is potentially dangerous. They will then hit you with the added cost of upgrading the pipes. You could also discuss with them beforehand that any increased cost to upgrade the pipes later will be their responsibility.
  • a&akay
    a&akay Posts: 526 Forumite
    Options
    We built a utility extension at the far end of our house, mainly for washing but also to move the gas boiler from one end of the house to the other. The house has 6 bedrooms, 2 kitchens, and 2 receptions. The gas heating is on constantly from 6am till 10pm. We have single glazing. We have a gas oven/hob in our kitchen and a gas hob in the other one. We have gas fire in our lounge for heating top up in Summer in the evening. We have a gas tumble drier in the utility which is on pretty much all day. The 22mm pipe from the gas meter to the gas boiler is about 25m. That has by far the largest gas load. The annual pressure gas test on the boiler has never shown an issue. 2 of these have been in Winter. We've never had an issue with the gas hobs staying lit on the lowest simmer settings, which I'd say means the pressure to them is satisfactory.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    a&akay wrote: »
    We built a utility extension at the far end of our house, mainly for washing but also to move the gas boiler from one end of the house to the other. The house has 6 bedrooms, 2 kitchens, and 2 receptions. The gas heating is on constantly from 6am till 10pm. We have single glazing. We have a gas oven/hob in our kitchen and a gas hob in the other one. We have gas fire in our lounge for heating top up in Summer in the evening. We have a gas tumble drier in the utility which is on pretty much all day. The 22mm pipe from the gas meter to the gas boiler is about 25m. That has by far the largest gas load. The annual pressure gas test on the boiler has never shown an issue. 2 of these have been in Winter. We've never had an issue with the gas hobs staying lit on the lowest simmer settings, which I'd say means the pressure to them is satisfactory.
    That has to be under gassed. The gas pressure must accommodate everything turned on full at once, there is a very good chance (I would bet on it) yours doesn't meet the pressures required.

I have an app for that now (an app for everything really), saves the headache of working it all out on paper. Only needed to use it once and the when a new kitchen had a 7 burner range cooker installed. Only half those distances and not as much on the system and it need upgraded. I would get that professionally checked.
  • fezster
    fezster Posts: 485 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    a&akay wrote: »

That sounds like a lot of appliances off of a 22mm gas pipe. But without knowing what the load on each appliance is, nor how the pipe is run (is it a straight pipe, does it have any bends), it's pretty irrelevant.
  • Alex1983
    Options
    A&akay even if you just use basic average kw outputs for your appliances of 5kw for a tumble dryer, 2 7kw cookers, 7kw fire and a modest 18kw boiler, very modest for a 6 bed house at 25m away, with out allowing for bends etc you need at least 28mm for the majority of the gas run. I would get you system checked.
  • a&akay
    a&akay Posts: 526 Forumite
    Options
    Alex1983 wrote: »
    A&akay even if you just use basic average kw outputs for your appliances of 5kw for a tumble dryer, 2 7kw cookers, 7kw fire and a modest 18kw boiler, very modest for a 6 bed house at 25m away, with out allowing for bends etc you need at least 28mm for the majority of the gas run. I would get you system checked.

It's checked annually on the gas service which is mandated for the boiler insurance (and has been for the past 10 years). What did't you understand about that?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure