I know you all love an SOA

2»

Comments

• Obviously there are savings to be made but you have no debt or shortfall so I am not sure why you are asking. If the lodger moved out though you would have problems so building up a cash buffer would be useful.

What is the deal with car as it does not show in debt or assets?

I am asking because multiple sets of eyes are better than one. I have learned a lot, but I am very far from being perfect. You yourself have summed up exactly why I am asking. I have been in dire straights before and I want to avoid being there again.

I bought the car cash. I would imagine I might get £1,300 if I sold it, but I need it for the foreseeable future, so I cannot do this.
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    It's still £948 per year, which, for one person, seems high.

Does that £948 also cover spending money (drinks, local travel, souvenirs etc.), or just the actual holiday?

You should also have contents insurance. Shouldn't cost more than about £10 per month.

That money covered everything. Spending, food, seeing the sights of Paris, Barcelona and other cities, transport, accommodation, the lot. I had thought I did it pretty cheap, but I would love ideas to travel cheaper.

I probably should have contents insurance, you are right.
    Save £12k in 2024 #29
    January take lunch to work goal - 13 of 19
  • That money covered everything. Spending, food, seeing the sights of Paris, Barcelona and other cities, transport, accommodation, the lot.

In that case, it's not so bad. :)

When referring to the price of a holiday, most people only mean what they paid to the Travel Agent.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,566 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    I am asking because multiple sets of eyes are better than one. I have learned a lot, but I am very far from being perfect. You yourself have summed up exactly why I am asking. I have been in dire straights before and I want to avoid being there again.

I bought the car cash. I would imagine I might get £1,300 if I sold it, but I need it for the foreseeable future, so I cannot do this.

That money covered everything. Spending, food, seeing the sights of Paris, Barcelona and other cities, transport, accommodation, the lot. I had thought I did it pretty cheap, but I would love ideas to travel cheaper.

I probably should have contents insurance, you are right.

Then I would prioritise saving an emergency fund as the best safety net you can go for. Improving your brothers property and your living environment and holidays are certainly things worth doing but not at the expenses of having a safety buffer. However you bought the car for cash which is definitely good so I imagine that cleaned you out. It should still show as an asset even if you have no intention of selling.

Can you make any savings on the train travel to uni? Is it a season ticket and are you getting student discounts etc?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure