PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord selling / sold house need some legal advice

Comments

• Cakeguts wrote: »
    Not if you had photos of what it was like when you moved in. This is one of the reasons why people suggest that you take photos of a house when you move in and when you leave.

What you want I suspect is for the landlord not to benefit from your new kitchen in the house? So you need to negotiate. The landlord wants you out in two months and you don't have the money to go then so you need to decide how much you want the landlord to pay you for the kitchen and you will want your whole deposit back as well.

Got photos and also updated the inventory they done accordingly to rectify the many mistakes in it on the condition of the house and gave them a copy for their records

Landlord benefiting from it is not a problem but his actions so far are and the way they have gone about things is
    LL will not pay for the kitchen not even one penny I know that much, They are the type of person that puts Scrooge to shame (In My opinion)

I am going to try and get the whole deposit back BUT I am not hopeful as it is the agents they have want exit fees taking out of it already and then I have a feeling the LL will try and find something wrong ( whether or not I have done it does not matter) with the house to withold the deposit (even with the photos and updated inventory)
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • GrumpyDil
    GrumpyDil Posts: 1,616 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Keto.

The landlord will have to justify any deductions to the scheme holding your deposit or in court if that is the option they choose. From experience the arbitrators can be very picky. In my case they refused to cover the cost of replacing a light fitting where the tenant had removed one of the bulb covers on the basis that I should be able to just replace the missing cover! (That's not something I've not managed to do so have replaced the fitting at my cost). Unless they have a signed independent inventory which evidences elements of the property are left in a worse state than when you moved in they will not have much luck with withholding much if any of your deposit.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Got photos and also updated the inventory they done accordingly to rectify the many mistakes in it on the condition of the house and gave them a copy for their records

Landlord benefiting from it is not a problem but his actions so far are and the way they have gone about things is
    LL will not pay for the kitchen not even one penny I know that much, They are the type of person that puts Scrooge to shame (In My opinion)

I am going to try and get the whole deposit back BUT I am not hopeful as it is the agents they have want exit fees taking out of it already and then I have a feeling the LL will try and find something wrong ( whether or not I have done it does not matter) with the house to withold the deposit (even with the photos and updated inventory)

Exit fees when you are being forced to leave? Cant see that standing up
  • tlc678910
    tlc678910 Posts: 982 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I wonder if there is any mileage in taking your landlord to small claims court to recoup some of the kitchen cost on the grounds he broke a contract by not honouring the 'long' tenancy afterwards. Is there any paper trail or text messages to evidence what you agreed between you?
    Tlc
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    tlc678910 wrote: »
    I wonder if there is any mileage in taking your landlord to small claims court to recoup some of the kitchen cost on the grounds he broke a contract by not honouring the 'long' tenancy afterwards. Is there any paper trail or text messages to evidence what you agreed between you?
    Tlc
    This is clutching at straws.

The tenaancy had a fixed term.
    It then became monthly periodic.

Trying to claim there was a 'long' tenancy (whatever that means) is pointless. The law makes clear how much security a tenant has based on the type of tenancy (as above).
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,075 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I would certainly be asking the landlord if he would like to buy the new kitchen that you installed for £XXXX or would he like the old one putting back in.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Anyone know what form the S21 should be on ?

Received a Form 6 A today (6th January) is that the correct one ?

Stating that in two months from yesterday's date (the 5th January) they will be turning up at the house for the keys and final inspection at a set time on the 5th of March
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • m0bov
    m0bov Posts: 2,523 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    No one will turn up for keys, if they do call the Police. They need to go to court to get possession. Can you scan in the letter and blank out personnel details. I very much doubt they have stated that.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 6 January 2018 at 1:41PM
    Anyone know what form the S21 should be on ?

Received a Form 6 A today (6th January) is that the correct one ?

Stating that in two months from yesterday's date (the 5th January) they will be turning up at the house for the keys and final inspection at a set time on the 5th of March
    What date did the tenancy start?

See my earlier link on validity of S21 Notices.

And/or read this post and see the links to example S21 Notices at the end:
    * Ending/renewing an AST: what happens when a fixed term ends? How can a LL or tenant end a tenancy? What is a periodic tenancy?

If you only received it today (6/1/18) then 5/3/18 is less than 2 months. How did you receive it? Post? Date of posting? 1st or 2nd class?
  • m0bov wrote: »
    No one will turn up for keys, if they do call the Police. They need to go to court to get possession. Can you scan in the letter and blank out personnel details. I very much doubt they have stated that.

I have taken a pic of the main body of the letter and covered up any details they have typed into it (names / numbers)
    Cannot fathom out how to upload to this site tho

You will not doubt it when You see it with Your own two eyes, guaranteed
    I am not in the habit of exaggerating or whatever
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure