Bank transferred to wrong account

2»

Comments

• IanManc
    IanManc Posts: 2,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    You don't have a complaint against Bank C. They haven't done anything wrong.

Your complaint is against Bank A. They should have reimbursed your account immediately and then made the transfer you requested to Bank B, which would have sorted the matter out for you. Then money wrongly being in Bank C is their fault, their problem, and the recovery of it or not is nothing to do with you.

This should all have been sorted out as soon as they admitted their mistake, and the fact that it hasn't been - and that it has now gone on for a month - is definitely a cause for complaint. I'm not one for encouraging trivial complaints to banks, but this isn't trivial - it is a disgrace.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    I received emails from both Barclays and Tesco’s in November/December telling me that a change in their terms and conditions meant that they would be able to take money from my account, without my permission, if they had reason to believe it had been payed in by mistake. Perhaps these terms haven’t been implemented yet, but I think it will apply to most banks.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Is this a payment from a business account (or an account used for business purposes)? Most people only make personal CHAPS payments when buying a house, which doesn't seem to be that case here. I don't know whether it really makes any difference to the way it should be resolved even if it is a business transaction, but I'd say it's information that we should know to ensure the responses given are relevant.
  • Swiggle wrote: »
    So I have now spoken to the bank who made the error. They're being incredibly difficult about the whole thing. I asked to speak to a manager but they wouldn't let me, saying they didn't have anyone available (that was this morning and yesterday).

They said they will do a "temporary transfer" in the next 24 hours. Now I'm worried with the use of the word "temporary"?
    The original person dealing with the issue "didn't realise" he could do that. Someone else is now dealing with the situation.

Thank you this is a very good idea and I will be asking for this.
    They are calling me back in 3 hours time.

Contact the bank's complaints department.
  • Swiggle
    Swiggle Posts: 11 Forumite
    Contact the bank's complaints department.

Unfortunately this is the complaints department I have been dealing with. They're now asking me to clarify things I have asked on a phone call I made with them on the 23rd of December. I said I can't clarify anything because I have made so many phone calls I can't actually remember.

Again, they won't let me speak to a manager. I feel as though they are putting road blocks in my way, and are being incredibly rude and patronising. Needless to say I will not be banking with this bank ever again.
  • Swiggle
    Swiggle Posts: 11 Forumite
    Update: I told them that from this point forward I will be recording any phone calls, and they seem to have changed their tone.

They will be "trying" to arrange for the money to go into the account that it is held with them and then they will transfer to the correct account via telephone. They said that although it is a temporary transfer they will not be chasing for the money should they be unable to retrieve it back from bank C. I have received a complaints reference number and when they call me back to confirm I will be asking for a written letter to confirm everything in writing as suggested by someone above.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Now you've received the complaint reference number I'm prepared to believe they're taking it more seriously. This is what should have happened when you first complained. I'm certain they'll settle this before the FOS ever sees it because they don't have a leg to stand on.
  • IanManc
    IanManc Posts: 2,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    I can understand why you wouldn't want to tell us, but I'd love to know who Bank A are. They've put you through a lot of stress because they've made a mistake and the situation shouldn't have been your problem once you had drawn their attention to it.

The basic point is that they've sent your money to the wrong person and they should have reimbursed you immediately. Any recovery action after that really needn't have concerned you. It's just appalling.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    OP if you want to put pressure on, casually slip into the conversation that there are many financial journalists that love stories like this, but only if you're prepared to go through with telling a journalist.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure