Woman on the verge

Oh dear - I had stupidly thought I might feel a sense of release once declared bankrupt - last Thursday - but now the nightmare of trying to get a new bank account is just too much - it is so tempting right now to just let go and breakdown. Having gone into Abbey yesterday - too busy to see us, so made an appointment for today (this was after DH going in for forms on Monday but it seems they like to do this all face to face). Anyway - got through it all and we stupidly had not mentioned the bankruptcy - thought is was not relevant to opening a basic account. Turns out, according to this chappy that only discharged bankrupts can open an account. I was so sure that Abbey were one of the places that we would be able to. Meantime this has eaten into my working time so much this week that pressure there is impossible to deal with now (self-employed) - and of course DH is concentrating on his stuff and even going up to London this afternoon for a final interview. Oh I am sorry to rant but it is helping at least. I cannot get my mobile phone debit sorted as no account, so without that for awhile. And of course the cash is dwindling - and I have cheques to pay in. Oh good grief. I know this isn't supposed to be easy. Anyway - will pull self together - having 2 young children, losing it is not an option. Will get there, but wish I'd not underestimated how tough this part would be.

Thanks for "listening" - and anyone else feeling so down - you're not alone.

Comments

• uther_2
    uther_2 Posts: 174 Forumite
    Try coop bank or Nationwide.they offer bank accounts for bankrupts.
  • It might be worth contacting Citizens Advice as they may know a local bank where you can open a basic cash account. Lloyds TSB operate a cash account but I'm not sure about their rules on undischarged bankrupts.

You can deposit cheques in a National Savings account and they provide a 'cash card' to draw money at any post office - although you have to leave around £100 in the account to keep it open.

It can come as a shock feeling excluded from 'bread and butter' facilities like a basic bank account and part of the problem is that most banks also want to see regular deposits (even if they are state benefits) before they will open an account.

Just my immediate thoughts but I hope they help.

Best of luck.
  • I opened mine with Nationwide and it was all done over the phone in about 20minutes. You can pay into the account via the post office counter which is very handy.

I understand you get an electron card with the Co-Op account, but i opened a Cashplus mastercard (pre-paid credit card) for any card transactions that I need to make.

Hope this helps
    DISCHARGED 12th December 2007:T

BSC Member #91

Proud to have dealt with my debts
  • tight_jock
    tight_jock Posts: 1,902 Forumite
    Hi
    Barclays, Nationwide and the Co op seem to be the main providers of basic accounts for undischarged BR.

Best of luck
    :beer:
    TJ
  • co-op would be your best bet they have an electron ( debit ) card and you can do banking on the web.
    Have you thought about a pre-paid credit card you load it with money and then use it like a credit card
    Things can onl;y get better now, I guess its a bit of an anti climax, a big build up to it and then its done and then comes ALL the sorting out after.
    Take Care
    LL
  • dabble
    dabble Posts: 15 Forumite
    Thanks everyone. We've applied to Co-op - they've referred us and waiting to hear.

DH did not stop his salary going to the existing account (with Alliance & Leicester) so he called the OR on Friday - thankfully a really lovely lady - said that they'd recommended the account be kept open, however that it's up to A&L - and if they close the account before we know what they're doing or can get to those funds, the OR will make sure it's released urgently - so that's a relief.

The annoying thing is that I have child benefit going in, and a couple of cheques to pay in too, but cannot until I know where. Oh well - we do have our interview on 7th March - so that's good, and we'll know just what's what then.

Counting our lucky stars - we have pence coming in and it can all only get better.
  • There you go then a couple of positives for you :)

Good luck with the OR, do let us know how you get on with the bank and the interview OK.

Can I ask do you own house or rent ??
    Did you have a car...what happened to it ??
    What about jobs did you let your boss know ??

BK is my plan B so I am gleaning all knowledge I can incase
    Thanks and chin up
    You have NO debt now........only a fresh start....and every journey begins with the first step :)
    Take Care
    LL
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family