Now TV or Sky

My daughter has asked me this question as she's now living away from the family home with her two daughters, one aged two and the other just a few weeks old: should she get Sky TV or Now TV - which is better value and more suited to her needs?

At present she has Freeview on her TV and the only children's channels suitable for a 2-year old are CBeebies and Tiny Pop.

She'd like to be able to access other channels, e.g. Disney, Boomerang and Nickelodeon etc.

She has found that the Sky basic package is £20/month +£5/mth for the Kids package, so £25/month.

She thinks that Now TV is £9.99/month, but is uncertain which kids channels are included in this price if any?

My question to you is then should she go for Sky or Now TV?

Comments

• Dusty_Bin
    Dusty_Bin Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks, mije1983, but no Disney channels, right?
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    There are always vouchers/offers for NowTV and you can dip in/out as your mood takes or budget allows.

Can't help with the kids options.

Ask around there are loads of extra boxes about as it is cheaper to buy a pass with a box than just a pass.

there was a free trial of the kids option on new accounts.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Dusty_Bin wrote: »
    Thanks, mije1983, but no Disney channels, right?

Disney created their own (paid) streaming service a couple of years back and removed it from the likes of NowTV.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Bear in mind that Now tv is a streaming service so will need decent broadband and the picture quality wont be as good.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 May 2018 at 10:26AM
    She goes for whichever 1 is best in terms of price and whats offered.

Netflix has kids content eg Rugrats, Top Cat, Care Bears, My Little Pony no extra fee for kids.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 May 2018 at 2:22PM
    With Now TV, go through cancellation screen 3 times and presented with 1/2 price for 4 months.

You get a free 14 day trial for each pass.

My broadband speed averages 40Mb, and never seen a decline in picture quality.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,816 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    She thinks that Now TV is £9.99/month, but is uncertain which kids channels are included in this price if any?

The standard price for the kids NOW TV package is just £3.99 a month, so considerably cheaper than SKY. (the Entertainment package is £7.99 a month and the cinema one £9.99 a month). However as others have said, there are always offers about, and it;s often chepaer to get a box and a pass together than just a pass (though I don't think I've ever seen a package with just the kids TV).

You do need broadband but I was pleasantly suprised that we've not epxerienced any slow responses / hang ups with it. In fact we're with Virgin media and we now use the Now TV box to access things like BBC iplayer in preference to Virgins own on demand service which was continually slow or unavailable.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My daughter has asked me this question as she's now living away from the family home with her two daughters, one aged two and the other just a few weeks old: should she get Sky TV or Now TV - which is better value and more suited to her needs?

At present she has Freeview on her TV and the only children's channels suitable for a 2-year old are CBeebies and Tiny Pop.

She'd like to be able to access other channels, e.g. Disney, Boomerang and Nickelodeon etc.

She has found that the Sky basic package is £20/month +£5/mth for the Kids package, so £25/month.

My question to you is then should she go for Sky or Now TV?

There is a third option which is TV Player Plus which has much the same line-up as the NOW TV kid's pass plus a whole lot more for £5.99 per month and a 14 day free trial. Like NowTV it's internet streaming TV and therefore requires broadband.
    https://tvplayer.com/plus

Disney life provides the 3 live Disney channels plus box sets, music and movies for £4.99p per month and a 7 day free trial. There is also a mobile app and more profiles can be added so that more than one person can use the app on their own device. I have it for my grandchildren and I think it's a good deal for what you get.
    https://disneylife.com/uk
  • edp33
    edp33 Posts: 22 Forumite
    I will give a thumbs up to disneylife too, have it on ipad, and stream it to tv through amazon fire stick. Fantastic content, all disney movies (except mulan not sure why) and disney junior plus more
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure