Turned down because they thought I was too good?

Options
I have just been turned down for the job because I did too well in the interview. This seems like BS but that is pretty much what they told me.

I got an email saying that I didn’t get the job but asked if I would call them as they really wanted to speak to me. I called and they read through the notes, apparently I was very personable, gave solid relevant examples, showed I understood what would be required and they were sure I could do the job. They then said ‘really there is nothing at all negative in what they have said about you’.

They just felt that I may find it too easy and I would be bored (It was a £10k uplift, for that I would happily be bored) after I had set up the role - it is a brand new role setting up a support function for something that they don’t yet have in place so a steep learning curve.

They are keeping my details in their talent pool in case another role comes up which is why they wanted to talk to me. I’m gutted though.

Comments

• nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Maybe go back to them and suggest working as a contractor/ fixed term where you will set it up for them and leave after 12 months when they can recruit someone for £10k less. (or keep you on)
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unfortunately this is quite common. Recruiting and training people is a large expense so they want someone who will stay. Many employers won't choose someone who they think won't get on well with the team, will be difficult to manage, or will leave soon for whatever reason (due to taking a pay cut, being too good and will be bored or find sometging better, etc).

As long as they don't select one of the protected characteristics from the equalities act, they can not employ you for any reason.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I recently went for a role that pays less than I'm currently on. They kept asking why I was applying for a role that paid less. In another role they seemed concerned about the distance I would have to travel in each day. Once something sticks in an interviewers mind if can be hard to change. There was probably some small detail. Or an internal candidate! Don't read too much into it.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,672 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    They went to the trouble of talking to you and giving excellent feedback - doesn't sound like BS (why would they bother?). You might be happy to be bored for a £10K uplift, until another job comes along somewhere else in a year's time and paying at least as much but would make better use of your talents.

Gutted? I can understand that - but do what nice chap has suggested and see if that succeeds.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've had it many times over the years, in the most ridiculous of situations.

My "first full-time proper job" was a PA to an international metals & chemicals broker .... and I was cycling 6 miles each way each day on an "old lady bike with a basket" to get there/back. A job came up just 100 yards from my house that paid 35% more, but had the job title of just Sales Secretary .... I had no interest in job titles - I just saw "only 100 yards, 35% more money" - I'd have stayed there "for life" for such a chance... but I got that stock "too good".

It sucks :(

They should try letting the applicant decide if they're too good for the job .... and offer it to "the best person", not "settle for second best because they think 2nd best has less about them".
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know anyone with a brain cell who has not been rejected for this tenuous reason. You could try taking it as a (back-handed) compliment but I think the suggestion to ask about a fixed term gig is a good one.

Good luck to you, anyway. If this mob are too scared you would either leave or take their jobs, there will be someone else out there who will also see your potential but might have a little more foresight... And insight.

Keep on keeping on and good hunting.
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Options
    They are probably being serious, I have interviewed people in the past and them being too good for the role has gone against them. THis is usually when very qualified/experienced people go for entry level roles, obliviously to get some money coming in which is fair enough but id rather not be recruiting for the same role within a year if I can help it.
  • bigkenny1975
    bigkenny1975 Posts: 107 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They are probably being serious, I have interviewed people in the past and them being too good for the role has gone against them. THis is usually when very qualified/experienced people go for entry level roles, obliviously to get some money coming in which is fair enough but id rather not be recruiting for the same role within a year if I can help it.

It wasn’t entry level and I can see their reasons but it does seem that they are willing to settle for someone not as good.

When I interview people who seem over qualified I make it part of the conversation. There could be a whole host of valid reasons, and also I don’t think I was too good I just talk a (too) good game.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Following redundancy I applied for a job which would have been a step back down the heirarchy. I had the interview and a few days later the guy who had interviewed me called to say they thought I was over qualified for the job, but they had a 6 month contract vacancy in another role if I wanted it. No further interview just straight in.
    You might want to consider the suggestion made by nicechap in #2.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe you should aim a little higher then, bigkenny1975... Would be interested to know how your search progresses if you feel like sharing. Good luck to you, anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure