Amazon locker - warning: No receipts

TL;DR - take a picture or video of dropping a parcel into Amazon lockers as you don't get a receipt.

I have twice returned goods to Amazon in the last year, and both times via an Amazon locker.

The first time I printed off the paperwork, attached the label to the item and dropped it off in the locker. Surprised to not get a receipt. At that point I wasn't sure if this was a problem with the machine, and of course there's nobody to ask and the screen didn't give any clues, just awaiting the next drop-off.
This return actually got lost in the system, and it took some arguing with Amazon that I had actually returned it - I realised I had no proof at all, but they believed me in the end.

Last week I did another return, and ensured I videoed myself with the parcel, closing the door on the locker. Again no receipt so now I realise you really don't get a receipt.
This one got through fine so the process works.

I would recommend doing the same or at least a photo of the item and locker, just in case....

Comments

• What does taking a photo of a locker prove? Nothing.

Amazon know when you use the code to open the door and know when you close the door. In the incredibly unlikely event the parcel goes missing they have great customer service and would refund you anyway. Like they did.
  • lammy82
    lammy82 Posts: 594 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    A photo doesn't prove anything but a video (which is what OP took) proves that you did put something inside the locker. If (for instance) a dodgy Amazon courier was pocketing returned goods and recording that the locker was empty, then the video would prove that you hadn't left it so.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What does taking a photo of a locker prove? Nothing.

Amazon know when you use the code to open the door and know when you close the door. In the incredibly unlikely event the parcel goes missing they have great customer service and would refund you anyway. Like they did.

The op actually said it took some arguing.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Naturally a video is best - I am sure if when my first parcel went missing I had emailled Amazon a video they would have refunded without any other to and fro. And I realise even if there was a printer inside the locker that gave me a receipt, what would it be a receipt of? The fact that I was there and opened and closed a door? Unless it weighed the contents of the locker. All far from foolproof.

I suspect a dodgy individual - either consumer or courier - could scam amazon through these lockers fairly easily.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    robatwork wrote: »
    I realised I had no proof at all, but they believed me in the end.

I would think the fact you used the code can be seen by amazon.

Filming yourself putting "something" in is hardly more proof. Could have been anything.

It's just going to come down to how great a customer amazon think you are.

Since this has occured twice now you would be stupid to use the service again unless you want to suiddenly stop being an amazon customer.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You should get together with poster "soul1"! :p
  • robatwork
    I do wish people would read threads rather than comment on what they would prefer it to have said to suit their entrenched position.
    Carrot007 wrote: »

Since this has occured twice now you would be stupid to use the service again unless you want to suiddenly stop being an amazon customer.

What has occurred twice? Have a re-read.
    You should get together with poster "soul1"! :p

And go and read my comment on Mr antibezos's thread and see how in sympathy for his position I am.

But thanks for your input anyway. I score you 2/7 .
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    robatwork wrote: »
    But thanks for your input anyway. I score you 2/7 .
    I'm not telling you how I would score your advice to video the use of an Amazon locker.. :p
  • robatwork
    Put it this way - it can't hurt to do the video and may help in a dispute. How can that advice be anything other than helpful?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure