2 defaults for same account?

Hi,

I have just signed up for the MSE credit club to check my credit file.

On checking my defaulted accounts I have noticed a default was added for a Barclaycard with a value of £0 and also another default for Link Financial that says it is for Barclaycard with a balance of £664.

As I have ever only had one Barclaycard am I right to assume that there are 2 defaults for the same account?

If that's the case which one should I ask to be removed? The one with link that is currently being paid, but was added after the Barclaycard default, or should I go back to Barclaycard?

Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The second one should be removed if they are indeed duplicates.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi

Its the same default, Barclaycard sold your debt, hence the zero balance.
    Link financial have now taken over reporting of it.

Thats correct and how it should be.

The BC entry should move to closed accounts.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    From ICO guidance....
    CRA Defaults - Recording of defaults relating to debts that have been sold.

The practice of selling/buying debts is widely used. As long as the information is correctly recorded on a credit file by the lender selling the debt and the lender buying the debt, then two entries relating to one account would not be considered to be a breach of the Data Protection Act provided that:-
    • both recorded entries are shown as being in relation to the same account/debt;
    • the original debt entry should be shown on the credit file as being either ‘settled' or ‘zero' balance and should show that the debt has been ‘re-assigned’;
    • the new DC who shows the debt in their name should maintain the original default date and the correct balances;
    • the retention period for maintaining the information on a credit file should be based on the original default date regardless of who is responsible for the entry/debt.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure