How long should it take for HMRC to sort Tax Credit

Hi,
I wonder if someone can advise me. I have applied for Tax Credits and sent me acknowledgement that they are working on it. Its been nearly 2 months. How long does it normally take for them to decide ?

many thanks

Comments

• Hmm71
    Hmm71 Posts: 479 Forumite
    I couldn't find anything on the HMRC website about their target for completing new claims but 2 months does sound a long time.

I'd give them a ring and ask how your claim's coming along.
  • ok mate I will ring them to find out. Thanks very much for your advice
  • update: just rung them up. They say it is progressing but they may be sending a letter out about my wife's details for something. My wife don't have any NI number at all and she was asking about that.
  • Hmm71
    Hmm71 Posts: 479 Forumite
    Oh, well I hope you can get the information they need and you get your claim sorted out. :)
  • CAB_Birmingham_representative
    CAB_Birmingham_representative Posts: 89 Organisation Representative
    Hi,

You are correct in stating that there is no specific time limit in which the HMRC have to process your claim, although it must be within a reasonable amount of time.

It seems that you have already sorted the issue out yourself.

Regards

Citizens Advice Bureau
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • hello CAB Birmingham,
    Many thanks for your reply.

They didn't give me any time frame. What would you call a reasonable time frame. Since I contacted them yesterday, how long from yesterday should it take them to sort it out.

regards
  • CAB_Birmingham_representative
    CAB_Birmingham_representative Posts: 89 Organisation Representative
    Hello,

We can not give a specific amount of time, however, we are aware from experience that the HMRC can take up to 12 weeks to process any piece of information that they request from you.

We hope that you find this helpful.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • ok thanks. so basically its up to 3 months for any info they are after. Do they still backdate the claim from the original date when it was applied on?
  • They should backdate it, yes.

They do have targets for processing - see extract below from their 2011-12 performance report. But these won't apply where they ask for additional information.

"Tax credits and child benefit claims
    For the full year, we processed new Child Benefit claims in an average of 27.2 days and new tax credit claims in 25.2 days, against a target of 23 days. We also processed changes of personal circumstances for Child Benefit claimants in an average of 22.2 days, against an 18-day target. These annual performance figures reflect the substantial investment made this year to resolve and clear older cases and as a result we start 2012-13 on a much firmer footing than ever before in these areas. We beat the 20-day target for processing changes of personal circumstances for tax credit claimants, achieving an average of 16.7 days throughout the year."
  • innocentdevil
    innocentdevil Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 29 December 2012 at 5:38PM
    An update and a bit of advice required please.

HMRC has sent a letter for request for more information. The letter is addressed to my wife who doesn't have a NINO.

I am confused. If we fill the form starting from first page, where its says ABOUT YOU, do we fill my wife's name in there and where it asks for partner details to put my details in ??

My wife's is not a national of this country but I am. I have read somewhere that NINO for one person who is claiming should be enough. The reason I put details of my wife on the claim form was so because we are married and are suppose to claim jointly ? Is that right?

If she is to fill the form with her details and the partner details (mine) then I do not understand why they are asking the same questions again about the salary, employer reference number bla bla etc as they already have those details.

Advice please ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport