Move house - Uswitch & Economy energy

VV17
VV17 Posts: 20 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hello all,

I have recently moved house. I have some issues with my switching process and was hoping to get some advice here !!!128522;

So I moved house in late Feb and used Uswitch to switch my energy in early March (from Economy Energy - the original provider, to Scottish power).

A few days ago, I received a bill from Economy Energy for the last 3 months . The dual fuel bill is £45 more expensive per month compared to what I used to pay in the old house.

It turned out that my gas and electricity did not get switched and I have been automatically put on Economy energy’s more expensive tariff.

So my questions are:

Could I challenge Economy energy on the tariff that they automate put me on? As it doesn’t seem fair that they put me on one of the more expensive ones.

Secondly, I am thinking of complaining to Uswitch by not sure if it’ll actually achieve anything. As I didn’t follow up when I didn’t hear anything from Scottish power.

Thank you for reading !!!128522;

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    When you moved in, did you contact Economy Energy, give them the opening meter readings and set up an account with them BEFORE switching to Scottish Power?
    Because you have to join the property's current energy provider before choosing one of your own. It's called a Deemed Contract which is why the gas/electricity is still switched on when you take over a property.
    (The old way was to have gas/electricity cut off and the supplier had to come out and reconnect you. Which wasn't a good scheme as you could be with energy for a while and really expensive to run)
  • VV17
    VV17 Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the reply. No we didn’t call Economy energy to register. I’m guessing The previous tenants have given them the closing meter reading.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well as you didn't follow the procedure then you have no recourse to EE.
    All EE can do is put you on a standard variable tariff without exit fees from the day when you became responsible for the property.
    Now you need to sort out EE who will use the previous closing reading as your opening one and sort out an account. Then pay them for the energy used at the expensive rate and switch away if you want. You will be on the standard variable tariff until you either switch or ask EE for a better tariff.

As for any switching site, all they do is pass on your details to energy companies. There is no comeback on them if it goes wrong or if you aren't in a position to switch.

Unfortunately you will have to look on this as an expensive learning situation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure