Mizmir's 10 month challenge!

Options
12346»

Comments

• doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    You have done great. Nice to see your progress. Good luck in your new home.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Of course you're allowed to stay when you're debt free - at least I hope otherwise I'm in big trouble! :rotfl::rotfl:

It's such a huge step going from clearing debt - whether that debt is cards, loans, mortgage or whatever, to saving I think. we've found that there is almost a feeling of guilt attached - imposter syndrome may be the closest thing I guess - that thing of thinking "But I shouldn't be saving money! It's not what I do!" Very odd and definitely takes some getting used to. I realised in a panic the other day that we were spending "over budget" on groceries - but then realised that budget figure was set over 10 years ago - and that some of the "nicer" things we're buying now have been added in because we do have more available cash now, and that we like them so why the heck not! :rotfl: it really does take time to relax and realise there is a difference between "spending a bit more" and "frittering money away". :o

Congratulations on the new house - I'm so pleased things are working out well for you and that you now have choices! :T
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • mizmir
    mizmir Posts: 3,710 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thank you both. I am still at the pinching myself stage to be honest - and panicking as to whether I will be able to manage - even though I have everything in hand this month according to YNAB! Am so determined not to get into debt again - but I still haven't closed my card accounts - it is hard to not think in terms of "emergencies". But that is on my list as I get sorted here. I will keep one card for online purchases and pay it off in full by DD so I can't overspend on it. But the rest have to go. My "emergency" fund now has to be savings. I have started a contingency fund in YNAB and my first pension payment went into the new ISA. Onwards and upwards.

My focus now has to be a short term cash injection into the business which has been just ticking over for a couple of months then a longer term strategy for maintaining sufficient income. But I need a lot less here than I did - 60% of bills and less needed for food and animals so hopefully I can do it!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,268 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Wow, it has really all come together for you :j :j
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Miz, I'm so happy to read that you've settled into the new place and there's less expenditure - hope the savings start coming together really well :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport