Building the future!

Comments

• Gemsy81
    Gemsy81 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Moguline wrote: »
    Well done on reaching the holiday decision! It's those kind of decisions that just have to be made when doubling down on paying off debt. And think about how much you'll enjoy a holiday once you've cleared your debt and can pay for it with saved up/budgeted money that is actually yours. :)

You're right moguline....we went on a pretty expensive holiday last year and I spent the whole time worried sick about paying the bill at the end, that thought really helped make my decision!!
  • Gemsy81
    First Anniversary
    Productive day today. I balanced all my budgets first thing, reconciling my transactions with YNAB. Enjoying seeing the 'age' on my money increase. I never thought I would say this, but I am really enjoying budgeting :) I wish I had discovered this 15 years ago! I guess I should be grateful its not taken me another 15 years to discover it!

OH and I have had a re-jig of a lot of the plants in our borders, weeded like mad and had a general tidy up and the effect is amazing...looks like a new garden with new plants. It has got me thinking ahead to next year, when I may start to grow some fruit and veg, and start some plants from seeds. I have absolutely NO idea what I am doing, but I think I have some books knocking around that may help.

I then have a half baked idea that I want to give our front room a makeover......previously I would have gone to Ikea, whacked a load on my credit card in haste and replaced everything. This time I am making a plan, and I am going to challenge myself to spend as little (or nothing) as possible.

I am about to do an exact calculator, but essentially to clear the remaining credit cards we need to throw £1000 per month at them. We currently have around £300 spare, and I do not want to take more out of the business, it just can't take it at the moment and that is adding to my stress. SO my mission is to somehow get together an extra £700 per month. That sounds like a bit of a crazy challenge doesn't it? But I do like to challenge myself ;)
  • That is quite the challenge. Have you got any ideas where this extra £700 will come from?

Your living room makeover sounds like a fun challenge! Definitely check pages like freecycle and gumtree for freebies! I've even found furniture in our bin alley before haha!

Planting from seed is not as hard as it looks. We have no idea what we're doing and have grown some pretty healthy-looking plants this year, in pots in our yard. We literally just bunged the seeds into some soil and hoped for the best. The onions didn't come out, but to my utter amazement, tomatoes, beetroot, carrots, purple-sprouting broccoli and particularly courgettes are all going strong. Looking forward to eating something home-grown soon. :)
    I need to look into YNAB, everyone here seems to rave about it! I'm using old-fashioned spreadsheets!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    That is some challange!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Gemsy81
    First Anniversary
    Well I still have quite a bit of stuff I can sell, so I will re-double my efforts on that to get shifted.

I'm now according to YNAB, 516 ahead of myself for next month (due to already making my cc payments, the child benefit I forgot about, a refund etc. so I'm feeling very confident about next month!

I'm making a file for money making ideas, and I am filling it in, working out what methods I think I can make time for and be successful at. So I will obviously keep posting what I am doing.

I also have a little sideline which I never really use/exploit in building websites and doing freelance marketing. I could I am sure squeeze some extra hours into my day (it would involve working through the evenings after LO is in bed, but I'm happy to do that if needs must). At the moment I just do something if someone asks me, but I am sure if I put myself out there I could get a bit more work.

Moguline - honestly YNAB has changed my entire thinking towards money, I love it!
  • I will look into it! The monthly subscription fee puts me off a little while every penny counts, but it seems to be worth it. :)

That's great about your sideline - I really need to look into reviving mine (German tutoring).
  • Gemsy81
    First Anniversary
    Productive morning.....finally sorted through the change lying around our house....all £24.54 of it! Thats going in the bank to start off the Christmas pots!

Have tried to use Ziffit to sell some of our books and DVDs but not doing very well :( they don't see to want most of my stuff...only up to £6, so I'll have to try again another time when maybe they have more need.

About to start cooking, so I'll have meals ready for the rest of the week, and then a lazy afternoon as technically I am supposed to be having a day off :)
  • Gemsy81
    First Anniversary
    Checked in on my new Nationwide cc earlier. I had been showing a 19% APR when it should have had a 0% for 12 months. Anyway...it has now gone to 0%....a quick phone call to Nationwide confirmed this....so the NEW plan, is that the Barclaycard at the highest rate (24.9%) is being transferred onto there (also no transfer fee :) ). and the £3400 will be paid off the Lloyds credit card which is at 15.9% and the highest balance.

SUPER chuffed with this :)

Also opened up a savings account with Nationwide, as they are currently offered 5% for 12 months. So the £3000 is going in there.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Sounds good :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Sounds like a good plan! :) You must be so pleased with making so much progress in one chunk. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure